Configure Knowledge Management Settings
You can configure certain role-specific and document-specific settings when you are setting up your knowledge management system. You can also change these settings later to suit your requirements.
How to Manage Role Privileges and Document Visibility
You can set up Knowledge Management security permissions by managing role privileges for users in your environment. Use these permissions to define the information that users can access in a knowledge document, when they view or create knowledge. You can also define how users are authenticated when they log in to the system.
Follow these steps:
- From the Administration tab, select Security and Role Management, Role Management, Role List.The Role List page appears.
- Select the role that you want. For example, Knowledge Manager.The Role Detail and Update Role pages display the following tabs:
- Knowledge ManagementSpecifies the Knowledge Management privileges for the role.
- KT Document VisibilitySpecifies which document statuses the role is allowed to view, such as draft, retired, and published.
- Complete the tab pages and save changes.Security and role privileges are defined.
For more information about setting up security and defining roles, see Managing Roles.
Configure General Settings
You can set the default information to display on the Knowledge tab at logon. You can specify the format in which categories display in the Knowledge Categories pane on the Administration tab, and the number of documents to list in the Top Solutions list on the Knowledge Management home page.
Follow these steps:
- SelectKnowledge, System, General Settingson theAdministrationtab.TheGeneral Settingspage opens.
- Complete the following fields as appropriate:
- Search Tool Opening ScreenSpecifies the information that is displayed by default on theKnowledgetab. You can select one of the following options:
- Open with FAQ / SearchDisplays theCategory, Knowledge Search, andKnowledge Document Listpanes.
- Open with Knowledge Tree Document ID
- Displays the knowledge tree with the document ID specified in the field provided. You can return to the knowledge tree document itself, and then to theCategory,Knowledge Search, andKnowledge Document Listpanes.Default:Open with FAQ/Search
- Category ViewingSpecifies the format in which document categories display in theKnowledge Categoriespane on theAdministrationtab. You can select one of the following options:
Note:If you have more than 250 categories under the top category, or under any category, use theDisplay Categories in List Viewoption and not the tree view.
- Display categories in tree viewPresents the categories in a hierarchical tree structure in theKnowledge Categoriespane. Categories expand to reveal associated subcategories. In this manner, you can view all the categories in the tree simultaneously.
- Display categories in list viewPresents the categories in a list format in theKnowledge Categoriespane. When you select a category, its subcategories display in a list. You can view only the current level of categories or subcategories at one time. Use theUp One Levellink to return to the previous category level.
- Top SolutionsSpecifies the number of documents to list in theTop Solutionslist on the CA SDM home page.Default:10Path for EBR Index FilesDefines the location for storing EBR index files. CA SDM creates EBR index files when you save and publish any knowledge document. Depending on your configuration type, consider the following points while defining the EBR index file path:
- Conventional: If you are upgrading from the CA SDM Release 12.9 from r11.2 or r12.X, you may choose not to use UNC shared path. If you have not created a UNC path, CA SDM uses the default path to store EBR index files. If you are using a UNC shared drive, manually copy the ebr/ebr_ADM folders from the default location ($NX_ROOT/site/) to the UNC shared path.
- Advanced availability: If you are upgrading to the advanced availability configuration from CA SDM r11.2 or r12.X, you must create the UNC shared path and use it to store EBR index files. The UNC credentials are not required for the default path. After you create the UNC path, manually copy the ebr/ebr_ADM folders from the default location ($NX_ROOT/site/) to the UNC shared path.EBR Index Files path&KEIT Files pathmust refer to the same UNC credentials and the path must reside on a same server to support this.
Defines the location for storing KEIT import/export packages during an import/export operation. Depending on your configuration type, consider the following points while defining KEIT file path:
- Path For Knowledge Import/Export Files
- Conventional: If you are upgrading to CA SDM Release 12.9 from r11.2 or r12.X, you may chose not to use UNC shared path. If you have not created a UNC path, CA SDM uses the default path to store the KEIT files. If you are using a UNC shared drive, manually copy the Import/Export package folders from the default location ($NX_ROOT/site/keit) to the UNC shared path.
- Advanced availability: If you are upgrading to the advanced availability configuration from CA SDM r11.2 or r12.X, you must create the UNC shared path and use it to store the KEIT files. The UNC credentials are not required for the default path. After you create the UNC path, manually copy the Import/Export package folders from the default location ($NX_ROOT/site/keit) to the UNC shared path.EBR Index Files path&KEIT Files pathmust refer to the same UNC credentials and the path must reside on a same server to support this.
You can use this option to create UNC credentials to access the network shared drive to access EBR indexing files and import/export packages. Use theUNC Credentialslink to create the UNC credentials.UNC paths and UNC credentials are required in case of the advanced availability configuration. Restart the CA SDM service when you change any of the UNC details (UNC paths or UNC credentials).
- UNC Credentials
- Document Indexing NotificationsSets a user to receive email notifications about status or when errors occur with document indexing. The user must have an email address in the ca_contacts table to receive these email notifications. Use the Notification Page for the assignee contact record for setting notification methods.You must set anAssigneeto receive document indexing notifications in theDocument Indexing Notificationssection. A valid email address must be defined in theNotificationtab of this contact to enable email notifications.
- Click Save.General settings are configured.
When migrating from an older CA SDM release to the advanced availability configuration, manually copy the import/export packages to UNC shared location (specified in
Path For Knowledge Import/Export Filesfield). For EBR index files, you can manually move the EBR/ebr_ADM folders to the UNC shared location or execute the pdm_k_reindex command path.
Specify Document Settings
As a system administrator, you can specify settings that are related to comments, submitting knowledge, and viewing knowledge tree documents.
Follow these steps:
- On the Administration tab, select Knowledge, Documents, Document Settings.The Document Settings page appears.
- Complete the following fields:
- Knowledge Tree Document ViewingSpecifies the viewing mode in which knowledge tree documents open. Select Open in Tree Mode (default) to open the knowledge tree directly or Open in Document Mode to open the document in document view. If you open in Document Mode, click Display to show the knowledge tree.
- CommentsSpecifies if users can submit comments for documents and view document comments. Select one of the following options:
- Allow comment submission and comment viewing (default)Displays a Comment field at the bottom of an open document so users can submit comments for the document. Users can view comments that are already associated with the open document.
- Allow comment submission but not comment viewingDisplays a Comment field on the right of an open document so users can submit comments for the document. Users cannot view comments that are already associated with the open document.
- Allow neither comment submission nor comment viewingDisallows the users from submitting or viewing comments. The Comment field does not display in an open document.
- Submit KnowledgeDefines the repository for user-submitted documents. The product populates the list with the names of repositories that are defined on the Attachment Library pane.Consider the following information:
- When an analyst creates a document in a category that has an owner and assigns the document to the category owner:Category owner becomes the assignee and owner of that document.Category owner must receive a document assigned notification.
- When an analyst creates a document in a category that has no owner and assigns the document to the category owner:No one becomes the assignee or owner of that document.Submit KD notification must send as defined in the administration.
- When an analyst creates a document and does assign the document to the category owner:That user becomes the assignee and owner.A notification does not send.
- When an employee or customer creates new documents, CA SDM takes the action as stated in the first two points.
- Maximum Resolution SizeDefines the maximum size (in characters) that the Resolution field in a document can contain.Limits:The maximum characters allowed is 256000.Default:32768.
- Duplicate Document AvoidanceForces a search for similar documents when the user creates a knowledge document.
- Notification before ExpirationDefines the number of days before the document expires and a notification is sent.Default:7This value only applies to documents that have been updated or created in CA SDM. If you migrate documents from CA SDM r11.2, and the expiration dates are set before the migration, this option applies only when you update the document after the migration.
- Click Save.The changes apply when you open a knowledge document or a knowledge tree document.
Setting Up Self-Service Knowledge Options
Customers and employees using CA SDM have access to knowledge documents through the self-service interface. Customers can search, browse, or use bookmarks to locate and view knowledge documents. Giving the customers access to knowledge documents and services permits customers to find answers themselves and reduces the pressure on resources.
In the self-service user interface, employees, and customers can view the following knowledge solution options:
- Search for Knowledge SolutionsEmployees and customers can enter keywords and phrases in a search field that retrieves a list of knowledge solutions. You can configure this option in the following location: Administration, Knowledge, Search, Search Settings.
- View Top SolutionsEmployees and customers can display a list of top solutions in the self-service interface. The following Administrator setting: Administration, Knowledge, System, General Settings, Top Solutions--Number of Documents to Display, determines the number of documents to display.
- Prompt for Knowledge SurveyThe users are prompted for a knowledge survey after they have read the document. The survey has a series of questions. One of these questions lets the customer indicate through a prompt whether they feel that their problem has been solved. You can configure this option in the following location: Administration, Knowledge, Solution Survey, Survey Settings.
- Suggest KnowledgeEmployees and customers can, where permitted, view a list of knowledge suggestions when they create a ticket in the self-service interface. You can configure this option in the following location: Administration, Knowledge, Service Desk Integration, Suggest Knowledge.
Define Document Preferences
You can define preferences that help you work with information in Knowledge Management. The Preferences Settings window opens when you do either of the following actions:
- Select Preferences from the View menu
- Click Edit on the Preferences Detail window
In General Settings, the following fields require explanation:
- Avoid PopupsSpecifies whether to reduce the number of new browser windows opened by displaying new forms in the main browser window whenever possible.
Default: Cleared.If this option is selected, the Back to List button can be used to navigate from detail forms back to the previously displayed list window. The Back to List button appears in the upper right-hand side of the window.
- Select the check box to minimize the number of new browser windows opened.
- Clear the check box to open new browser windows according to the properties set in the form definition.
- Keep Log Reader WindowSpecifies whether to keep the Log Reader window open when you select the Close All Popups command from the Window menu and after you log off of Knowledge Management. This setting has no effect when the Log Reader window is not open.
- Select the check box to keep the Log Reader window open.
- Clear the check box to close the Log Reader window when you select the Close All Popups command or log off of Knowledge Management.
- Preserve Popup SizeSpecifies whether to open new popup windows with the same dimensions as the most recently resized popup window.
Default: Selected.If you select Preserve Popup Size, maximizing a popup window will cause subsequent windows to cover any other open window. However, new popup windows appear slightly off the screen, to the right and down. As there is a 10 pixel (left and top) offset for popups, they do not completely overlay the currently displayed window. We recommended that you do not maximize popup windows when using the Preserve Popup Size option.
- Select the check box to use the new dimensions for new popup windows.
- Clear the check box to open new popup windows with default dimensions.
- Using Screen ReaderSelecting this preference modifies behavior for optimal use with a screen reader for blind and limited vision users. Log off and log back in again after changing this preference. From the Help menu, select Screen Reader Usage for an overview of using CA SDM with a screen reader.
In Knowledge Search Document Settings, the following fields require explanation:
- Attributes to be shown in listDisplays two lists with which you can define the properties that display for each document in the Knowledge Document List pane on the Knowledge Categories pane of the Administration tab.Choosing the attributes different from the Preference default can impact performance. If you believe that extra display columns are needed, contact the system administration and ask them to use the Web Screen Painter utility to modify the default page columns for the Document List page.