Using Service Virtualization
lsv lets you virtualize software service behavior and model a virtual service to stand in for the actual service during development and testing.
Service Virtualizationlets you virtualize software service behavior and model a virtual service to stand in for the actual service during development and testing.
DevTestPortal is a web-based application that provides simpler access to the most commonly used workflows for
DevTest Workstationis the main application for advanced users and contains the full range of functionality available within the
DevTestproducts. For a quick summary of the functionality available in the portal, see DevTest Portal Functionality.
Service Virtualization Overview
When developing and testing applications, you often need access to one or more services to verify that the application is working as expected.
These dependent services can become a constraint. For example:
- The service is costly to use.
- The service is available only for limited timeframes.
- The service is needed by multiple teams.
- The service is still being developed.
Service virtualization lets you create a simulated version of a service. The simulated version is referred to as a
The virtual service does not need to duplicate all the functionality of the actual service.
The potential benefits of service virtualization include faster delivery, higher quality, and cost savings.
DevTestvalue proposition is built around the concept of allowing users to create virtual services that emulate the behavior of real systems. The level of emulated behavior is at the discretion of the user. To support this proposition,
DevTestimplements a variety of functions and features that allow users to execute OS level commands as well as the ability to execute scripted and compiled code. In fact, two key and differentiating features of the product, Magic Strings and Magic Dates, rely on scripting to accomplish their goals.
Exercise caution when consuming resources (assets) provided by third parties.
Service Virtualizationhas two product configurations:
- Service VirtualizationService Virtualizationis intended for use cases in development, integration, testing, and user acceptance. Instances of these products service up to ten parallel transactions simultaneously, or approximately ten transactions a second.
- Service Virtualizationfor PerformanceService Virtualizationfor Performance is specifically for performance testing applications, and is more scalable, limited only by the underlying hardware and network.
The default configuration is
Service Virtualization. For information about how to override the default, see SV Installation and Configuration .