SQL Server Database Monitoring
An extension of
DX APMfor Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Server) Databases provides visibility into the performance and availability of SQL Server databases. You can proactively detect and isolate database-related performance problems and effectively communicate with database administrators for fast problem resolution.
The SQL Server database monitoring extension provides insight into the performance of a SQL Server instance by providing metrics related to the performance of Connections, Buffer Manager, Index Statistics, Logs, Locks, Resource Pools, T-SQL Statistics, Workload Groups, Availability Replicas, and detailed metrics for each Database in the instance being monitored. You can also correlate Application to Database performance with the actual database performance.
In the Infrastructure Agent, the agent extension exists in this directory
Features and Benefits
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases enables you to:
- Monitor the performance of SQL Server databases
- Correlate SQL Server database to application activity
- Verify the application use of SQL Server database activity capacity
- Share critical performance and availability information with DBAs
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases provides real-time visibility into some critical database resources as follows:
- Bytes Sent and Received
- Connections that are Attempted, Aborted, and Failed
- Database Operations
- Resource Pools
- Transaction Insights
You can see immediate time to value in the performance-triggered alerts.
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases equips the application support personnel with the information to determine whether application performance issues are related to the database. By providing critical performance data, the SQL Server extension facilitates collaboration with database administrators and eliminates finger-pointing. You can quickly detect, isolate, and eliminate the problems. As this product uses the
DX SaaSplatform, you can visualize, analyze, and query all the information that the SQL Server extension gathers.
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases offers you the following benefits:
- Seamless integration withDX SaaS, provides direct visibility into the SQL Server database from withinDX SaaS
- Deeper visibility into back-end systems that affect the application availability and performance
- Captures most important metrics, directly from SQL Server performance metrics
- Application administrators do not need to learn different tools to monitor SQL Server databases
- Constructive communication between application administrators and database administrators; an application administrator can relay critical SQL Server database information in the language that the database administrator understands.
DX SaaSand application administrators can use
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases to diagnose the following problems:
- Problem root cause isolation:You can effectively triage problems, showing whether the problem is with your application, the application server, or the SQL Server database.
- SQL Server Database instance availability:When applications are running slowly or returning errors, the extension reports availability of all monitored SQL Server database instances. Administrators can rapidly determine which SQL Server databases are unavailable.
- Slow response times:The extension shows data to determine the database resources that are causing performance slowdown.
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases is a standalone extension that you can install on any remote host, which can be different from the host on which SQL Server resides.
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases queries SQL Server through JDBC for its health statistics, converts the data to
DX SaaSmetrics, and sends the information to the Enterprise Manager. You can view the information using the Metric browser.
One installation of
DX APMfor SQL Server Databases can monitor multiple SQL Server databases on multiple hosts.