Installing and Upgrading
Learn more about how you can install or upgrade to this version of
As an administrator or consultant, you can install or upgrade
PPM classique. This page provides sample
PPM classiqueserver architectures. Related components include the database, application servers, and reports. Learn how to install the data warehouse, add-ins and connectors, and third-party software such as Jaspersoft.
The documentation in this section applies mostly to on-premise customers. Installations and upgrades for SaaS customers are provided with the product. However, SaaS administrators are subject to many of the same options, constraints, and requirements.
- To maximize productivity and minimize compatibility issues, always upgrade to the newest available release and apply the latest patch.
- Identify any non-standard product customizations, such as triggers, custom JAR files, and database customization. Customizations often result in the biggest challenge for upgrades.
- Plan ahead for environmental upgrade delays, production size requirements, OCM and training. Your business requirements and the functionality that you plan to implement are key factors in an installation or migration plan.
- Do not mix additional custom enhancement goals with your upgrade plan. Focus only on the upgrade before you attempt to expand into other planned changes.
- You do not have to go it alone:ClarityUpgrade Services are available. For example, consult Broadcom Service partners to plan the hardware sizing and configuration for yourPPM classiqueinstallation.
Install or Upgrade
The following diagram shows how a system administrator prepares to install or upgrade
Video: The Joys of Upgrading
The following video provides some tips and strategies for upgrading:
To play the video in full screen, click the YouTube logo at the bottom.
ClarityArchitecture and Sizing Recommendations
PPM classiqueinstallation includes the following servers:
- One or more application servers to service the client requests from users
- An Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server database server
- One or more report servers
The following examples illustrate sample
PPM classique14.x customer, you could temporarily extend your legacy reporting functions by deploying separate servers for Business Objects and Jaspersoft. That scenario only applied during a temporary migration phase as your organization transitioned from Business Objects to Jaspersoft. Beginning with Release 14.4, that option is no longer supported. Jaspersoft requires another database server for the data warehouse.
For 15.5.1 and higher, run your
PPM classiqueapp, bg, CSA, and beacon using Java 11 and run Jaspersoft 7.1 using Java 8.
To help you plan for a new deployment or upgrade to 15.x, sizing recommendations and diagrams are available in the following PDF.
Small Architecture with Apache Tomcat
In this example, one of each of the available services is configured on the servers. Two managed servers connect to a Jaspersoft application service and a database service. The
install.jarfile is extracted and executed on servers A and B. The beacon service on servers A and B manages the services.
The following example illustrates a relatively simple small server arrangement:
Medium Architecture with Apache Tomcat
The medium architecture scales up for a larger user base and high-availability cluster. The following example illustrates a server arrangement for a medium architecture:
In this example, two application and background services are configured across servers A, B, and C. This deployment provides horizontally scaled application and background services as part of the cluster. The
install.jarfile is extracted and executed on servers A, B, and C. The beacon service on servers A, B, and C manages the services.
Large Architecture with Apache Tomcat
The large architecture scales to support a complex deployment for a demanding user base. The deployment architecture includes high-availability at the application, background, and database tiers as part of the cluster.
The following example illustrates a server arrangement for a large deployment:
In this example, the Application service is deployed across servers B through F. Two Background services are configured on servers A and B. This deployment provides horizontally scaled application and background services as part of the cluster. While this configuration is similar to the medium architecture, more application services support more concurrent users. The Jaspersoft services are distributed across two servers to handle the increased reporting requirements. The
install.jarfile is extracted and executed on servers A through F. The beacon service on servers A through F manages the services.