MSP: Manage Projects with Microsoft Project
You can integrate cappm with Microsoft Project (MSP) to manage, schedule, and track projects with either tool. Both cappm and MSP provide similar project management features; however, their core business rules are different. cappm is a centralized enterprise solution and MSP is a scheduling tool.
You can integrate
Clarity PPMwith Microsoft Project (MSP) to manage, schedule, and track projects with either tool. Both
Clarity PPMand MSP provide similar project management features; however, their core business rules are different.
Clarity PPMis a centralized enterprise solution and MSP is a scheduling tool.
For large-scale replanning or automatic scheduling algorithms,
Clarity PPMSchedule Connect opens projects in MSP. Schedule Connect provides a bidirectional connection between
Clarity PPMand MSP and changes in both products are easily synchronized.
Benefits of Integrating
Clarity PPMwith Microsoft Project
When you install, configure, and integrate Microsoft Project with
Clarity PPM, you are no longer working with a stand-alone, desktop project management scheduler. The larger
Clarity PPMenvironment provides a complete project, program, and resource management system. In an integrated environment, Microsoft Project is one of several integrated tools for enterprise project management. You can take advantage of the following integrated benefits:
- Resource management
- Time tracking
- Consistent scheduling
- Repeatable processes
- Uniform behavior for the contributing project members
Clarity PPMprojects with Microsoft Project to realize the following functionality:
- Open, review, and edit projects in Microsoft Project.
- Save projects that you create and update in Microsoft Project back toClarity PPM.
- Allocate theClarity PPMresources to projects open in Microsoft Project.
- Map custom fields from Microsoft Project andClarity PPM, assign resources to tasks, and create baselines.
- When you open and save a project, all information is sent to and fromClarity PPMin one large block. This behavior improves performance.
- Simultaneous communication betweenClarity PPMand Microsoft Project.Clarity PPMcan send information to Microsoft Project before an entire block of information is received fromClarity PPM.
- SSL and secure proxy servers are supported without requiring you to open special ports.
Deciding Between the Legacy and New Microsoft Project Driver
Review the following information to understand the functional differences between the legacy and new Microsoft Project driver. You can then decide which driver to use. The Microsoft Project Interface installation wizard provides two options: Microsoft Project Legacy Interface and Microsoft Project Interface. If you previously installed the legacy version and now install Microsoft Project Interface, the following changes apply:
- Any changes that you make to the project calendar in Microsoft Project are no longer saved in the MPP file. Instead, you can edit calendars at the resource level or at the base calendar level inClarity PPM.
- Resource pools are no longer available for master projects. All resources are found on the master resource sheet. The same rules apply to the retention team members on the master projects and subprojects inClarity PPM.
- Custom views are no longer saved in the MPP file. If you add a column or you use a custom view, the view is discarded. All mapping and data in nonmapped fields is stored.: Create custom views (and the associated tables) and place them in the global.mpt file. When you open a project fromClarity PPM, you can select the customized view.
- To save new project plans from MSP toClarity PPMselect the Save As button from the CA PPM Integration menu. The legacy interface allowed you to save over an existing project. The new driver no longer allows you to overwrite an existing project with Save As. Instead, the new driver supports auto-numbering. When you select Save As, the new driver applies the next sequential ID to the project.
- Elapsed Duration values are preserved between Microsoft Project andClarity PPM. For more information, seeElapsed Durations in Microsoft Projectin MSP: Data Exchange with CA Clarity PPM.
- Number1 and Number2 fields are no longer mapped to the Pending ETC and Pending Actual fields. Instead, add these mappings (you can use any number field) to the MSPFIELD.
- If you create a task inClarity PPMthat is not pinned through a dependency, and the task does not start on the project start date, define a constraint. The Microsoft Project Interface does not automatically put a constraint on a task and move the date.
- The progress dialog is now displayed in the lower-right corner on the Microsoft Project toolbar.
Be aware of the following behavior with unmapped fields if you upgrade from the legacy MSP driver. It is possible that after you upgrade and switch to the new driver, the values on your unmapped fields are lost. Any values in unmapped fields that existed in the MPP file of a project when using the legacy driver are no longer part of the project when you export it to Microsoft Project using the new driver. The first time you export a project using the new driver, the new MPP file uses only custom and default mapped fields. If you enter values later on unmapped fields in this MPP file and save it back to
Clarity PPMusing the new driver, these values are saved.
Working Copies of Projects in Microsoft Project
A working copy of a project lets you update the project offline. When you open and save a project as a file, Microsoft Project creates a working copy. Save projects locally as MPP files using Microsoft Project.
You can continue updating the project in Microsoft Project. The next time that you save the working copy, Microsoft Project assumes that you are saving back to
Do Not Use Open Workbench and Microsoft Project for the Same Project
Clarity PPMalso supports full bi-directional connectivity with Open Workbench. Some organizations configure their
Clarity PPMenvironment to support both scheduling tools.
However, the following use case is not supported:
- You open and schedule your plan in Microsoft Project and save it toClarity PPM.
- Later that day, another project manager opens the project plan to reschedule it in Open Workbench.
This situation can lead to the unexpected shifting of task dates and other serious scheduling issues.
: After you schedule a project plan in one of the schedulers, do not open it in another scheduler for editing. The scheduling algorithms for each scheduler are different. Mixing schedulers can lead to data integrity issues. Consult with your colleagues and agree on one scheduler for managing your projects.