PMO Project Lifecycle and Processes
The idea can go through an approval process or can be fast tracked to project creation. When the idea is ready to be converted, the Idea Review process starts a project creation process. The process is based on the following idea type and idea category combinations. The project creation process converts the idea to a project using the applicable project template. In addition, the field values are copied from the idea to the project.
Project Creation Process
Create Major Project
Major Project Template
Create Infrastructure Project
Infrastructure Deployment Template
Create Application Change Project
Application Change Template
Create Application COTS project
Application COTS Template
Project Lifecycle Processes
The following automated processes are included to help you manage the project lifecycle, starting from idea review and approval to project creation:
- Document ReviewThe Document Review process manages the review workflow for Proposal or Operations types of documents.The following image shows the Document Review process workflow used for proposals and operations documents:
- Idea ReviewIdeas let you conduct analysis that is more expedient at an earlier stage. The analysis is in an attempt to filter out poor, or financially unfeasible ideas before they become investments. You can track and convert ideas into investment opportunities.The following image shows the Idea Review process workflow used to filter out poor financially unfeasible ideas:
- Issue Review and EscalationThe Issue Review and Escalation process manages the review workflow for high-priority project issues.The following image shows the Issue Review and Escalation process workflow for high-priority project issues:
- Create Application Change ProjectThe Create Application Change Project process creates a project based on the Application Change Template.The following image shows the Create Application Change Project process workflow used to create projects:
- Create Application COTS ProjectThe Create Application COTS Project process creates a project based on the Application COTS Template.The following image shows the Create Application COTS Project process workflow used to create projects:
- Create Infrastructure ProjectThe Create Infrastructure Project process creates a project based on the Infrastructure Deployment Template.The following image shows the Create Infrastructure Project process workflow used to create projects:
- Create Major ProjectThe Create Major Project process creates a project based on the Major Project Template.The following image shows the Create Major Project process workflow used to create projects:
Project templates allow you to create projects based on standard tasks and role assignments for that project type. Templates help ensure consistency and efficiency in creating projects. The Idea Review process uses these templates to create these types of projects for you. Alternatively, you can use these templates to create projects. You can change the templates to suit your organization demands and requirements. You can also duplicate these templates to create new project templates for each of your organization project types.
To use the Major Project approval and gate review processes, change the names and properties of the last tasks in each phase. But, do not change the IDs. The gate review process starts when tasks with the specific IDs are completed.
For more information, see Project Management.
The following project templates are included:
- Application ChangeThe Application Change template helps manage projects to change software applications.The Create Application Change Project process uses the project template. The process provides an automated workflow to create projects. You can also use the template to create new application change projects.The following image shows an example of the Application Change template.
- Application COTSThe Application COTS template is designed to manage Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) application selection. Use this project template to manage the activities when you select a vendor to provide a new product.The Create Application COTS Project process uses the project template. The process provides an automated workflow to create projects. You can also use the template to create application COTS projects.The following image shows an example of the Application COTS template.
- Infrastructure Deployment
The Infrastructure Deployment template helps manage the deployment of an infrastructure enhancement.
The Create Infrastructure Project process uses the project template. The process provides an automated workflow to create projects. You can also use the template to create IT infrastructure deployment projects.
The following image shows an example of the Infrastructure Deployment template.
- Major ProjectThe Major Project template provides a framework for the application enhancement and development processes. This template helps project manager take the project through all gate reviews.The Create Major Project process uses the project template. The process provides an automated workflow to create projects and manage the approval and gate review workflows. You can also use the template to create projects. This template includes a sample work breakdown structure (WBS). The WBS has six major phases, each with subtasks.The following image shows an example of the Major Project template.
Idea Type and Idea Category Lookup Mapping
Use the lookup mapping object to manage the available list of values for Idea Type and Idea Category. These values appear when users create ideas on the Create Idea page. The following default lookup values appear for the Idea Type (parent lookup) and Idea Category (child lookup) fields:
- Application Change and COTS Evaluation
- Application Change and Enhancement
- Infrastructure Deployment and Desktop
- Infrastructure Deployment and Distributed
- Infrastructure Deployment and Network/Telecom
- Major Project and Compliance/Regulatory
- Major Project and New Development
- Major Project and New Product or Service
- Major Project and Other
Follow these steps:
- From Home, click Lookup Mapping under Custom Objects.
- Click New Lookup Mapping.
- Complete the following fields:
- Mapping TypeDefines the type of mapping that the two lookup values (parent/child) represent. Your selection determines the available parent and child lookup values.Default:Idea and Project Type/Category
- Parent LookupDefines the primary lookup value for the mapping. The value that you select determines the available child lookup values.Values:Application Change, Infrastructure Deployment, or Major Project
- Child LookupDefines the secondary lookup value for the mapping.Values:New Development, Compliance/Regulatory, New Product or Service, Other, Enhancement, COTS Evaluation, Distributed, Network/Telecom, or Desktop
- Save your changes.
- (Optional) You can delete the lookup mappings that you create. You cannot reactivate a deleted lookup mapping. You cannot delete a system or system-restricted lookup mapping.
Add-In Lookup Mapping
Similar to the Idea object, use the add-in lookup mapping object to manage relationships between add-in lookup mapping values that are based on mapping types. The mapping type determines the options available to create different combinations of parent and child lookup values. Mapping types can be seeded through add-ins. Refer to the Application Portfolio Management add-in for an example of how to use the Add-In Lookup Mapping.
The following mapping types are seeded in the PMO Accelerator as placeholders for other
- Application Software Categories/Sub-Categories
Use the add-in lookup mapping object only for
Clarity PPMadd-ins. Add values to the existing mapping types, but do not create new mapping types as they can affect the add-in functionality.
Follow these steps:
- From Home, click Add-In Lookup Mapping under Custom Objects.
- Click New Add-In Lookup Mapping.
- Complete the following fields:
- Mapping TypeDefines the two lookup values (parent/child) for mapping.
- Parent LookupDefines the first lookup mapped. The value that is selected in Mapping Type determines the parent lookup value.
- Child LookupDefines the second lookup mapped. The value that is selected in Mapping Type determines the child lookup value.
- Save your changes.
- (Optional) You can delete the add-in lookup mappings that you create. You cannot reactivate a deleted lookup mapping. You cannot delete system and system-restricted lookup mappings.