Monitor Project Performance on the Project Dashboard
You can monitor project performance on the Project Dashboard page by viewing read-only summary views of project labor and team utilization data in graph and table format. Dashboard data appears based on the information that you enter in the task and resource assignment fields, and based on the data that is submitted in staff member timesheets. The dashboard automatically updates when you add or post new information to the project.
By default, this page displays the General, Labor Resource Effort, and Team Utilization portlets. You can use these portlets to view resource allocation and availability information and to compare actuals to estimates. You cannot change the data or appearance in the General and Labor Resource Effort portlets. However, you can configure some of the settings on the Team Utilization graph.
Clarity PPMadministrator can use Studio to customize this page by adding or removing portlets from the Dashboard tab of the Project Default Layout portlet.
The General portlet displays basic information about the project. These fields require a description.
- Start DateDefines the initial start date for a project. As you create tasks and assignments, this date is auto-calculated to match the first date that a task is scheduled to start. After that point, you can adjust the following dates:
Default:Current dateRequired:YesVerify that the start dates of tasks and assignments are the same or later than the start date of the project. If not, the start date of the project is automatically redefined based on the start dates of the tasks and assignments.
- Start date of the first task of the project.
- Start date of the resource assignments and allocations on the project.
- Finish DateDefines the initial finish date for a project. As you create tasks and assignments, this date is auto-calculated to match the last date that a task is scheduled to finish. After that point, you can adjust the following dates:
Default:Current dateVerify that the finish dates of tasks and assignments are the same or before the finish date of the project. If not, the end date of the project is automatically redefined based on the end dates of the tasks and assignments.
- End date of the first task of the project.
- End date of the resource assignments and allocations on the project.
- Status IndicatorIndicates the project status.Stoplight values:
- Green. The project is on track.
- Yellow. A minor variance exists in the overall status of the projects.
- Red. A significant variance exists in the overall status of the project.
Starting with Release 14.4, the default
Status Report Statuslookup values change from
Needs Helpand from
At Risk. The
On Trackvalue remains the same. See the PMO Accelerator Release Notes in the 14.4 edition of the English documentation set.
Labor Effort Portlet
The Labor Effort portlet displays project actuals, ETC, and allocations. Use this information to compare up-to-date actuals and estimates, and to view the overall baseline and allocation variances. These fields require a description.
- Total EffortDefines the total effort that is based on the following formula:Total Effort = Actuals + Remaining ETC
- ActualsDefines the total number of hours that have been submitted and posted against project tasks.
- Estimate to Complete (ETC)Displays the current estimate to complete (ETC) for the project. This value is taken from the Current ETC on the estimating properties page.Required:No
- BaselineDisplays the usage of the current baseline, which is based on the following formula:Usage = Total of Actuals + ETC; If a baseline is not being used, Usage = zero.
- Baseline VarianceDisplays the baseline variance, which is based on the following formula:Baseline Variance = Baseline Usage - Total Effort
- Remaining AllocationDisplays the number of allocated hours remaining on the project, which is based on the following formula:Remaining Allocation = Allocation - Actuals
- Allocation VarianceDisplays the allocation variance, which is based on the following formula:Allocation Variance = Remaining Allocation - Total Effort
Project Status Portlet (Interactive)
The Project Status portlet is an interactive portlet that you can use to analyze your investments, and contains an Xcelsius visualization with multiple components. You can access this portlet from the projects list page by clicking the Status Report icon in the Overview column. Run the Update Report Tables, Cost Matrix Extraction, and Time Slicing jobs to display data in this portlet. These fields require a description:
- Baseline FinishDisplays the completion date for baselining the project.
- Lifecycle CategoryDisplays the lifecycle category that controls the list of available lifecycle stages for this investment.
- Lifecycle StageDisplays the lifecycle stage of the investment. This metric is applied in portfolio analysis when using comparable stage criteria across all portfolio investments.
- StatusDisplays a graphical representation of the status.Example:If the status is "Approved," the visual representation of the status is a Green stoplight. The selection is displayed as a stoplight symbol when saved.Values:Red, Yellow, and Green
The following are included:
- Investment Allocation Hours by RoleDisplays the roles that are assigned for an investment in hours. This pie chart component shows allocation hours by role. Each pie segment represents the total allocation for a role.
- Spending Plan by MonthDisplays the cost plan for the month. This grid component displays a bar representing the spending for each month.
- Schedule VarianceDisplays the difference between the baseline finish and the finish dates. This gauge component measures the scheduled variance. If no baseline exists, the schedule variance is the current date minus the finish date.
Displays the issue name, status, and priority. The list view component shows a list of the issues for an investment.
- Green. No high or medium priority issues exist.
- Yellow. Medium priority issues exist.
- Red. High priority issues exist.
- White. Issue status is not defined.
Displays the risk name, status, and priority. The list view component shows a list of the risks for an investment.
- Green (0 to 33). Project is low risk
- Yellow (34 to 68). Project is medium risk
- Red (68 to 100). Project is high risk
- White. Risk data undefined
Team Utilization Portlet
Use the Team Utilization portlet to view total effort for each resource across all of the project tasks to which the resource is assigned. You can drill down to view utilization by individual resource and task. Resource utilization is the amount of total effort it takes, or is expected to take, for a resource to complete a task. The information in this portal displays by resource by time period. By default, the time segments are weekly, and starts with the current week. The time segment values display as a histogram. Use the histogram to determine the utilization for a resource on a project or to help you determine if a resource is over-utilized or under-utilized.
You can personalize any of the values in the Team Utilization portlet, including the color codes.
These fields require a description:
- Properties IconClick this icon to to open the staff member properties page.
- Resource Allocation IconClick this icon to open the resource/role allocations page and edit investment allocations.
- ResourceDefines the names of the resources that are allocated to investments in the portfolio. You can click the name to open the resource properties page.
- Avg Alloc %Displays the average percentage of time that a resource is allocated to work (as tentative or committed) on this project. The percentage in this column reflects the average percentage of available time that each resource is allocated to a task assignment for that project.