New User Experience: Configure Teams
As an administrator, you can create and configure teams for adaptive people planning and can allocate teams for either agile or traditional work management. You can quickly search through your teams by the team name or ID. You can directly allocate work to your teams, based on your requirements. You can add resources to a team or search a specific resource of the team. You can update resource allocations for precise staffing and remove a resource from the team.
Project managers can allocate the pre-configured teams to project tasks. They can also populate cost plans based on team allocations or assignments. Users can enter time for a team.
For example, an administrator creates a team in the
New User Experience. In Classic PPM, the administrator grants the
Resource - Hard Bookinstance access right to a project coordinator for the new team resource. The project coordinator can now staff the team on the investments for which she has edit or view access.
Contact your administrator for the access rights that are required to use these features. See
New User Experience: Team Access Rightsin
CA PPM Access Rights Reference.
View the Team List
Ian wants to allocate a specific requirement to a dedicated team. Ian has
Team - Viewaccess right. Ian wants to view all the teams currently available for people planning and work allocation. Ian navigates to the Administration page and clicks Teams. Ian can view the list of teams, number of resources that are allocated to the team, who created the team or last modified it.Ian can use the
Search or filter bar to search teams using its name or id. Ian can filter teams based on team status. By default active team status is selected for the ACTIVE STATUS filter. Clear the filter to see list of active and inactive teams. Inactive teams are highlighted in gray, in your search results.
Create a Team
You can create a team of resources to assign to one or more projects. The resources and roles on the team can change; however, for business continuity, the team persists. Create agile scrum teams or focused teams by initiative or theme. For example,
Bug-Fixersare all possible names for teams.
You can add the same resource to multiple teams.
Follow these steps:
- SelectAdministration, Teams.The team list appears.
- ClickNEW TEAM.
- Enter the name of the team and selectCREATE.You can now add resources to the team.
After you create a team, Classic PPM shows the team on the Resource List page under the Home menu. The following business rules apply to teams:
- For simplicity, the entire team is treated as a single labor resource with a read-only value in the Availability field. The application updates the value in this field with the current calculated availability of all the team members in the following cases:
- When you add a resource to the team
- When you remove a resource from the team
- When you change the allocation % for a resource
- The team name appears in the Full Name field for the new team resource. Each team has a unique TEAM ID in the Resource ID field (for example, TM00003).
- The application creates the resource entry for the team in Classic CA PPM even if you do not have theResource - Createaccess right. Your permissions to create a new team include the creation of this new team resource.
- Any changes to the team name, ID, or status attributes are synchronized with the resource record in Classic PPM. An administrator who can edit resources in Classic PPM can edit the properties of the team resource record. For example, enable time tracking or edit OBS unit associations and financial properties.
- The team does not consume user licenses.
- Since a team is a resource, you can select it for the Resource column in a cost and rate matrix. Set up the financial properties on the team resource profile and go into the matrix that has the Resource column configured and you can select the team resource.
Edit a Team
You can add and remove the resources on each team. You can edit the team name or status.
Follow these steps:
- In the main menu, selectAdministration, Teams.The team list appears.
- Select a team.
- Click+ Add.The ADD panel appears.
- Select the resources that you want to add to the team. Only active labor resources appear. To add resources by name, use the Resource field values. To add resources by OBS, use the Resource OBS filter.
- To close the ADD panel, clickX Close.The Team page refreshes with the new resources.
- You can remove one resource or role at a time. To remove resources or roles in bulk, use Classic PPM.You cannot edit the properties of the resources added to a team. However, you can remove a resource from a team or change their allocation percentage. Switch to Classic PPM to manage other resource properties.
Delete a Team
To delete a team, select
DELETE TEAM. The delete button appears when you have the required rights to delete a team.
When you delete a team, it is completely removed from the system including access rights to the team granted to the licensed users.
You can delete a team only when the following conditions are true:
- The team is not allocated to a project or another investment.
- The team is not used in a financial plan.
- The team has no actuals or pending actuals.
The following messages can appear when trying to delete a team:
- Cannot delete a team with pending or posted actuals.To preserve system integrity, the application does not allow you to delete teams with pending or posted actuals. If the team has only pending actuals but no posted actuals, you can delete all time entry rows for open or returned timesheets. If you can remove all time entry rows for all timesheets for the defined team, then you can delete the team.
- Cannot delete a team that is staffed.If the allocations do not have actuals, you could remove the allocations from all projects and investments. You can then delete the team. Use the Allocations tab for a resource in classic PPM to locate all staffed investments.
- Cannot delete a team that is on financial plans.You could try deleting rows from one or more cost plans grouped by resource. If the team that you want to delete is on an approved budget plan, you cannot delete any rows in the plan.
If you are unable to delete a team, you can inactivate the team definition. An inactive team does not appear as an available resource.
Resource Allocations for a Defined Team
You can edit the default allocation field and can help address bottlenecks. The following rules describe the default application behavior:
- The first time that you add a resource to a team, the default allocation for the resource is set to 100 percent.
- When you add a resource who is already on one or more other teams, the default allocation for the resource is set to 100 percent minus the other allocation percentages. For example, a resource is allocated 25 percent to two other teams. When you add the resource to a third team, their allocation is set to 50 percent. An icon appears next to the resource. You can select the icon to see the teams to which the resource is allocated and the allocation amounts.
- If the resource already has an allocation of 100 percent, when you add them to a new team, the default allocation is set to zero (0) percent. As an administrator, you can adjust the default value of 0 percent for a resource. For example, you decide to over-allocate the resource to 110 percent for a critical project. You cannot enter negative allocation values.
- The Availability rate on the Resource-Team <name>general properties page in classic PPM is updated based on the resource team allocation in theNew User Experience. To open the resource team properties page, selectClassic PPMin the main menu.
- When you deactivate a resource in classic PPM, the allocation percentage and the availability rate for the resource remains a part of the team definition. As an administrator, review the team allocations for the deactivated resource and manage them to suit your business needs. For example, you can remove the deactivated resource from the team or you can change the team allocation percentage.
- The existing allocations for a team are only affected if you reset the Availability rate in classic PPM or adjust the individual investment allocations in theNew User Experience.