Getting Started With Classic PPM
Learn more about how to use the different capabilities of
Get started with
Classic PPM, take a quick tour, and personalize your user experience. This article assumes that you have not customized the application and that your administrator has granted you sufficient access rights.
The documentation might not match what you see in the product user interface. This difference can occur because all access to
Classic PPMfeatures, menus, pages, buttons, and objects is determined by your access rights. Your organization can also configure the application pages, objects, lookups, partitions, processes, and user interface. Contact your administrator if you are not able to complete any of the steps in the documentation.
Customer Success Story: Sky
Sky offers a range of subscription entertainment and communication services. The company has more than 10.8 million residential customers in the UK and Ireland. To safeguard the success of new products and services, Sky needs an integrated and efficient approach to project management. Management requires comprehensive visibility for projects, costs, and resources.
Classic PPMto track 2,000 projects enterprise-wide. The solution simplifies reporting and aids resource and financial management. Sky has easy access to the information it needs to deliver successful strategic projects at a lower cost. This information ensures that customers continue to benefit from the latest communication and entertainment innovations.
Click the following image to read the Sky customer success story.
Use this page to take a quick tour of the
Classic PPMuser interface. Items include the main menu, user toolbar, icons, tabs, and smart sections.
The following graphic shows the main areas of the application including a default home page with several portlets. Descriptions of each main area appear below the graphic.
Main Menu Bar
The following graphic shows the options that are available in the main menu bar:
To view a tooltip in the application, mouse over the icons on the main menu bar.
- Back: This button returns you to the previous page in the Recent Pages list.
- Recent Pages (History): This button provides a drop-down list of the recently viewed pages. You can select from the list to return to a page. Entries are not made for navigation between subpages that belong to a specific instance. For example, if you navigate between the subpages of a specific project, each subpage does not appear.
- Home, Administration, and Favorites (Main Menus):Click these menus to navigate to specific pages. The menus, pages, and options that you can view depend on your access rights.
- Refresh:This icon updates the data on a page.
- Home:This icon returns you to the home page.To change the home page, navigate to a page, click theHomemenu, and selectSet as Home.
- Current Timesheet: This icon opens your current timesheet.
- Search:Click this icon to open the basic search field or to open the advanced search window.
The Home Menu
Homemenu is the main menu for all users. The menu options that appear on the
Homemenu depend on your access rights.
The following graphic shows a typical expanded
The menu includes the following features:
- Previous and Next:Use these links to scroll to the right or the left. If theNextlink is active (bold), more menus appear to the right. If thePreviousbutton is active, more menus appear to the left.
- Set as Home:Click this option to set the current page as your home page.
- Reset Home:This option resets your home page to the default home page, theOverviewpage.
- Refresh:ClickRefreshto update the menu to reflect recent changes. For example, you changed your access rights or configured more menu items.
The User toolbar that appears in the following graphic always appears at the top of the page.
- About:This link provides version information about the software including Jaspersoft. The About page also shows the logged-in user and their session ID.
- Help:This link provides context-sensitive online documentation.
- Learn:This optional link presents the CA Productivity Accelerator (CA PA) training modules for your organization. The link appears only if your organization configures the CA PA option.
- Logout:This link logs you out of your current application session.Minimize or close tabs and windows instead of logging out. When you clickLogouton one page, you might unintentionally log out from your session in another tab or window.
Page and Portlet Icons
The icons that appear in the following graphic provide quick access to frequently used options on pages and portlets. These icons represent the common features that are available for the current page or portlet.
- Export to Excel:Use this icon to export information from a portlet on a page to an Excel file.
- Export to PowerPoint:Use this icon to export content from a page to a PowerPoint file. The icon appears only if the page has portlets.
- Personalize:If available, use this icon to customize the current page layout. You can add or remove a portlet or filter. You can also restore defaults.
- Manage My Tabs:Use this icon to create new tabs, add content to tabs, or change the layout of portlets on tabs.
- Options: Use this icon to display the menu of available options for the current portlet. Common options include configure, minimize, maximize, sort, export to Excel, and export to PowerPoint.UseExport to Excelwhen you want to capture the current page view in Excel similar to a dashboard. Up to 300 rows of data are included. UseExport to Excel (Data Only)to capture up to 25,000 rows of unformatted data.
Overview Page Portlets
A portlet provides a snapshot of specific data. A portlet can appear as a list, a chart, or a snippet of HTML. You can filter and select the data that appears in a portlet.
To view the default arrangement of portlets, click
Overview: Generalpage contains the following default portlets that help enable your productivity:
- Action Items:This portlet provides a list of action items that are assigned to you.
- Favorite Links:This portlet provides a list of your favorite links. You can even add links to pages in the application or to other applications.
- My Projects:This portlet provides a list of projects you select for easy access from this portlet.
- Notifications:This portlet provides a list of notifications that are sent to you.
- Site Links:This portlet provides a list of internal and external site links that your administrator can configure.
Beyond the main menu, some tabbed pages have menus of their own. Tabs with menus display a down arrow. Click the tab to open the menu and view the menu options.
The following graphic shows the open Main submenu on the project Properties tab.
To help you manage pages with many fields in multiple sections, you can collapse and expand section header bars.
- To open or close all sections on a page, double-click any section header bar.
- To open or close a single section, click the section header bar once.
- When you save a page, the application highlights the header bars of any sections that contain errors.If all sections are collapsed, the first highlighted section is expanded for you to make the correction. To make corrections in any remaining highlighted sections, click the section header bar to open the section.
- A white asterisk on a red square icon indicates sections that contain at least one required field.
Use smart sections to scan collapsed sections on a page to see which sections contain required fields.
For example, the Properties page for a project that appears in the following graphic shows three section headers. You collapse all three. After clicking
Project Summarysection expands to show the missing required data in the
Your First Project Notification Link
Most users receive an email message with a link to their assigned project when their manager has added them to the project.
- Click the link.Clarityopens in your default web browser.
- Log in.The project dashboard or another default page configured by your administrator appears.
Receiving notifications like the example shown here requires that you have configured email notifications and that your administrator has your email address on file in the
Clarityresource profile and has configured an integrated mail server.