Clarity: Review and Approve Timesheets
Clarity: Review and Approve Timesheets
As a resource manager, you review and approve timesheets for resources that report to you. You must have timesheet approval rights for these resources. You can also review and approve timesheets as a project manager, provided you have the timesheet approval rights for your resources. As a resource, you can also access timesheets from
Rally, if you have Timesheet Navigate access right. Timesheet review and approval is essential to the operational success of the entire project, and helps in the following ways:
- Monitor budget and resource allocation.
- Manage time on the schedule.
- Measure team member performance.
- Measure your planned project against the actuals.
You can send reminders to users about submitting their timesheets, you can approve or return all submitted timesheets, and you can add notes to timesheets that were submitted or returned.
Before you begin, review the
Timesheet Review and Approvalinformation in
Clarity: Compare with
Classic PPM. This information helps you better understand the timesheet-related capabilities in
Send Timesheet Reminders
As a timesheet approver, send reminders to a specific user or to all users who have not submitted their timesheet. You can send reminders to team members from the Open and Returned columns. Open shows all users (team members) who have not yet submitted their timesheets. Returned timesheets are considered Open, and they must be updated and resubmitted in a timely manner.
- When you send a reminder:
- Areminder senticon appears in the team member list with the time that the reminder was sent.
- A reminder notification is sent to the team member based on the configuration for user notifications inClassic PPM. Team members can receive an email, SMS text message, a notification inClarityor inClassic PPM, or any combination. As an administrator, see Configure Notifications and Notification Templates.
- If no reminder has been sent, the Send Reminder button is available.
- After you send a reminder to a user, if you select the user again, a Remind Again button is available the next time that you access the user.
The following image shows how to send an initial timesheet reminder:
The following image shows how to send a follow-up reminder:
Add Notes to Timesheets
As a timesheet approver, you can add the following types of notes for your team members:
- Generic notes at the timesheet level such as to remind team members to submit their timesheets
- Specific notes at the timesheet line item level such as to notify team members about issues in their submitted timesheets.
To add a generic note for a team member for the entire timesheet (for example, to include a reminder message), in the Team Member column, click the team member name. In the fly out window that opens up, click Notes and add your message. A notes indicator appears in the Team Member column for the team member row as shown in the following image:
Add Notes to Timesheet Entries
When looking at a submitted timesheet, you can click Detailed Timesheet to view the line items in the timesheet. From the detailed view, you can add a specific note for an individual task line item in the timesheet. A notes indicator appears for the line item on the timesheet grid as shown in the following image:
Video: Review and Approve Timesheets
In the following video you learn how to review and approve timehseets for your team members and the timehseets for other teams for whom you have timesheet approval rights.
To play the video in full screen, click the YouTube logo at the bottom of the video.
Review, Approve, and Return Submitted Timesheets
As a timesheet approver with instance rights for timesheet approval, you are notified when users submit their timesheets. You review and approve the time that your team members record against tasks. When necessary, return a timesheet for corrections. The team member receives a notification about the returned timesheet. For example, the timesheet shows incorrect codes or hours applied to the wrong tasks. The team member receives a notification about the returned timesheet and can make corrections and submit the timesheet again. You can also review and approve timesheets for team members of other resource managers provided you have the timesheet approval rights for them. For example, if a resource manager is going on vacation, they can ask you to review and approve the timesheets for their team members.
- Resource Manager:When you first log in as a resource manager, you only see, by default, the submitted timesheets for your direct reports (or My Team) for whom you have timesheet approval access rights. To review timesheets in other states (or status) and to display all your direct reports, click SHOW ALL next to Members. To review and filter timesheets submitted to other resource managers, click Resource Manager, and select the resource manager.
- Project Manager:If you are a project manager with timesheet approval access rights, you might not see any submitted timesheets if you do not have any team members that report directly to you. Under Showing, click the drop-down list next to My Team and select ALL to display your direct reports and all other resources for whom you have timesheet approval rights.
The filtering that you apply to review timesheets continues across the different timesheet periods. Once you log out, the filtering is reset to the default behavior.
Follow these steps:
- ClickTimesheetsin the main menu.
- Navigate toREVIEW &APPROVEtab.
- Click the team member name and review the submitted time for a team member.
- (Optional) To review and filter timesheets submitted to other resource managers, click Resource Manager, and select the resource manager.
- When ready, optionally add a note for the timesheet and do one of the following:
- To approve a timesheet, click the thumbs-up icon to approve the timesheet.
- To return a timesheet for corrections, click the thumbs-down icon to return the timesheet.
The following image illustrates how you can approve or return submitted timesheets or review the detailed timesheet for a team member.
As a shortcut, you can approve or return all submitted timesheets on the current page at once, as illustrated in the following image:
The user is notified that their timesheet has been approved or returned.
Click a team member name to view a context-sensitive fly out window displaying the timesheet for the team member. For submitted timesheets, a Detailed Timesheet option is available. Use the option to review the detailed timesheet for the team member before approving or returning the timesheet directly from the fly out window. Use the navigation arrows at the top of the fly out to continue reviewing additional timesheets submitted by other team members.
The following image illustrates how you can approve or return submitted timesheets after reviewing the details in the flyout window:
Adjust Posted Timesheets
When a resource submits a timesheet, the actuals are
pendinguntil the timesheet is approved. If the actuals consume the remaining ETC, the pending status is changed and the pending dates of the original assignment change. After you approve the timesheet, the pending actuals, status, and dates in the resource assignment are updated.
Occasionally, a posted timesheet needs adjustment to fix time entry errors such as incorrect hours or wrong charge codes. As a timesheet approver, you can click Adjust to create an adjustment timesheet. The adjustment timesheet appears as a new Open timesheet for the associated team member. You can add a note for the team member to inform them about the adjustment. After the adjustment timesheet is submitted, approved, and posted, this new timesheet replaces the previously posted timesheet that was returned.
View Timesheets for Others in a Closed Time Reporting Period
When a time reporting period is closed, the resource manager can go to the period and view details of a timesheet for other team members in the Timesheet tab. To edit, adjust or process a timesheet, the period must be open. The system administrator can re-open a time reporting period.
Search or Filter Timesheets
You can filter timesheets for resources by searching on a resource name or resource manager. You can filter on those resources on whom you have timesheet approval access rights. You can also view, approve, return, and adjust the timesheets of the resources reporting to other managers.
Follow these steps:
- Click Timesheets from the main menu and click theREVIEW & APPROVEtab.A list of your team members appear with the current time period.
- Use the Search or Filter bar to search for timesheets as follows. You can select multiple values for the filter options.
- ResourceFilters by all resources for whom you have timesheet approval rights
- Resource ManagerFilters by the resource managers for the resources for whom you have the timesheet approval rights
- Resource OBSFilters by all resources associated to an OBS for whom you have timesheet approval rights
- Review the submitted time for a team member by clicking the team member name.
- Optionally add a note for the timesheet and do one of the following:
- To approve a timesheet, clickApprove(thumbs-up icon).
- To return a timesheet for corrections, clickReturn(thumbs-down icon).
The following illustration shows how you can filter time sheets by resource manager(s):
ClarityTimesheets from Rally
As a team member, you can access your
Claritytimesheets directly from
Rally. Contact your administrator or see
The timesheet integration feature is not supported if you are using
ClaritySaaS with the On Demand Portal.