Manage Team Staff Members
You can manage many aspects of your team members, including defining properties, capitalizing cost, removing members, and replacing members.
Define Team Staff Member Properties
You can define and edit the properties for a team staff member. For example, you can define a resource as open for time entry to track the time that is spent on the resource tasks on the timesheet.
Follow these steps:
- Open a project and click theTeamtab.
- Click thePropertiesicon for a resource or role.
- Complete the following fields:
- Default Allocation %Defines the percentage of time you want to allocate the resource to this project (you can enter 0 percent). This amount is reflected in the Allocation and Allocation % columns on the project team staff page.Default:100 percent
- Booking StatusDefines the booking status for the resource.Values:
- Soft: The resource is tentatively scheduled to work on the investment.
- Hard: The resource is committed to work on the investment.
- Mixed: The resource is both soft and hard allocated to the investment, or the soft allocation for the resource does not match the hard allocation. Administrators can configure CA PPM to allow or not allow mixed bookings.
- Request StatusSpecifies the requisition status when a requisition is linked to the team record. Project managers use the request status to monitor the state of their requisitions and to book manually a resource without using a formal requisition. The field is read-only when the request status isNew,Open, orProposed, or when no requisitions exist.Values:
- New: The staffing requirement is new. The project manager has not requested staffing needs.
- Open: The resource requisition is active and is waiting to be filled.
- Proposed: The resource requisition has been proposed.
- Booked: The project manager has accepted the proposed resource.
- Closed: No requisitions are associated with the team member.
- Rejected: The request to staff this resource or role to the team for this investment was not approved.
- Investment RoleDefines the role of the resources that are requested for the project.Example:Developer, business analyst, or product manager
- Staff OBS UnitDefines the OBS Unit affiliation for the resource that is assigned to the project.Default:Default Staff OBS Unit (if this value is defined for the project).
- Open for Time EntrySpecifies if the resource can use timesheets to track time that is spent on task assignments. The default value on this field is used when the resource is created. After the resource is created, you can edit the default value. If the option is unchecked, the resource cannot log time on any project. For a resource to track time on timesheets, the following conditions must be true:
- The Track Mode option for the resource is set to PPM.
- The Track Mode option for the project is set to PPM.
- The Open for Time Entry option for the project, team, and task is selected (checked).
- Resume KeywordsDefines the keywords in the resume of the resource.
- Planned AllocationDefines the duration of time for which the resource is required to work on the project. The time represents the total amount of availability the resource has to the project (as requested by the project manager).Hard AllocationDefines the total amount of hard-booked availability the resource has to the project (as filled out by the resource manager). A hard allocation value does not exist until the resource manager hard-books the allocations.
Configure Capitalization % of Cost for Team Staff Members
Configure the team staff page to display the Capitalization % of cost for the team staff members. The Capitalization % value is used to retrieve the cost breakdown by cost type (capital as opposed to operating) from the associated cost/rate matrix. When the investment manager creates a cost plan and auto-populates it from investment team, the cost breakdown becomes available in the cost plan details.
To display the division of capital and operating cost for a team member on a cost plan detail, verify the following requirements:
- Assign Cost Type as a column in the associated cost/rate matrix.
- Add Cost Type as a grouping attribute in the cost plan.
For example, a team member is allocated to an investment for 40 hours and assigned a capitalization percentage of 25%. The capital cost for the resource as defined in the cost/rate matrix, based on role is 100. The actual capital cost amount in the financial plan detail for this resource is
1000based on the following calculation:
Capital Cost = (Capitalization % * Allocation) * Cost
(25% of 40)*100 = 1000
The remaining 75% of the cost for this resource is allocated to operating cost.
(75% of 40) *100 = 3000
Editing the Capitalization % field requires the
<investment> - Edit Financialaccess right. For example, to edit this field for a project, you need the
Project - Edit Financialaccess right.
Open and Close Projects for Time Tracking
As a project manager, you can allow staff members to track the time that they spend on project tasks on their timesheets. The staff member profile must also be opened to enter time on project tasks.
Follow these steps:
- Open a project.
- Click thePropertiesmenu and selectSettings.
- In theTime and Staffsection, complete the following fields:
- Open for Time EntryIndicates if staff members can enter time on their timesheets for this investment. Select the check box to enable the investment for time entry. Clear this check box and a staff member cannot log time for a specific project. Each staff member must also be enabled for time entry. The default selection for this option is used when the project is created. After the project is created, you can edit the default selection.The setting for this project field does not affect the time entry setting on the project team or task.
- Track ModeIndicates the tracking method used to enter time for this investment.
- PPM (Default Value): Staff members enter time against their assigned tasks using timesheets.
- None: Non-labor resources, such as expenses, materials, and equipment track actuals through transaction vouchers, or through a scheduler, such as Open Workbench or Microsoft Project.
- Other: Indicates that actuals are imported from a third-party program.
- Charge CodeSelect a default charge code to use for all project tasks. If you enter different charge codes at the task level on timesheets, the task-level charge codes override the project-level charge code.
- Submit the changes.
Remove Team Staff Members
You can remove team members from a project provided there are no posted transactions or actuals associated with those team members. If a team member has an associated requisition that is in
bookedstatus, first unbook and then delete the requisition, before removing the team member from the project. For more information, see
Unbook Hard-Booked Resources Using Requisitions.
Removing a project team member does not delete the resource from the system.
Follow these steps:
- Open a project and click theTeamtab.
- Select a resource and clickRemove.
- ClickYesto confirm.
Replace Staff Members on Task Assignments
On the Tasks Assignments page, you can replace a resource with a role or a different resource. You can also replace a role with a resource.
You can replace team staff members on unlocked projects. If the project is locked, you can replace a team staff member role (without replacing tasks). You can replace, provided the Allow Edit of Allocations when Investment is Locked default project management setting is selected.
If a project is unlocked, you can transfer resource assignments to the new resource replacing an existing role or resource.
Verify the following conditions before replacing staff:
- The original team staff member completes time entries so that the actuals are posted before the replacement occurs.
- The original role or resource has no allocation remaining.
How Information Transfers to Replacement Staff
When you replace one team staff member with another, certain project information is transferred to the replacing staff. For example:
- Available Start(Information is only transferred if the available start date has not passed and if the replacement staff is not booked on that date.)
- Available Finish
- Remaining Allocation
- Percent Allocation
- Remaining ETC
- Assigned Tasks (This only occurs if the 'Reassign Tasks when replacing Role' option in the project settings under Administration is checked.
- Project Role (unless you are replacing a role too)
The following field information is not transferred:
- Completed Assignments
- Existing Actuals
- Pending Actuals
- Pending Estimates
Replace Team Staff Members
Use one of the following methods to replace team staff members on projects:
Replace Resources on Tasks with Unassigned Team Staff Members
If the Assignment Pool field for a project is set to Resource Pool, you can replace the project task assignments with staff members that are unassigned to the project team. However, the option is unavailable if the Assignment Pool field for the project is set to Team. In this case, you can replace the task assignments only with staff members that are assigned to the project team.
You can replace a team staff member with another, provided they are not assigned to the same task. You can also replace multiple staff members with a single one.
The ETC and assignment dates associated with the previous resource is transferred to the replacing resource. When you replace multiple resources with one resource, the combined ETC is transferred from the replaced members to the replacing member.
Task assignment dates override project assignment dates. You can assign team staff members to a task whose end date exceeds the date the member is assigned to the project.
Replace Resources on Tasks with Assigned Team Staff Members
You can replace one team staff member with another. The method allows you to:
- Replace a team staff member with any team staff member, including members already assigned to the same task. Replacing one team member with another allows you to consolidate the number of members assigned to the same task.
- Replace a team staff member assigned to a different task with the same team staff member.
When you replace team staff with the assigned team staff, the name of the replacing (assigned) staff displays instead of the replaced staff. ETC is adjusted accordingly. If the transfer is from a single member, or combined for multiple members selected for replacement, the ETC is transferred as is.
Replace Roles on Tasks with Assigned Team Staff Member
When you replace a role with a resource that is assigned to the project, the allocation from the role is added to the existing allocation for the resource. The role allocation decrements by the amount added to the resource.
Consider the following behavior when replacing roles:
- When you fully decrement a role by replacing it with a named resource, the following behaviors are seen:
- The role allocation decrements to zero and the role is removed from the team staff page.
- All assignments and ETC that were assigned to the role are transferred to the named resource.
- The role allocation is added to the named resource allocation. In this case, you can over-allocate the named resource (that is, allocated at greater than 100 percent).
- When you partially replace a role by one or more named resources, the following behaviors are seen:
- The role allocation decrements by the amount replaced, and the role remains on the team list.
- No transfer of assignments is made to the named resources.
- The amount of the replaced role allocation is added to the named resource allocations.
- When you replace a role that has assignments and ETC such that the role allocation is zero, the role remains on the team list. Reassign the task to one or more resources, and then remove the role from the project team.
You can also replace a role with an unassigned team staff member. The option is only available if you select Resource Pool as the Assignment Pool in the general properties when creating the project.
Replace Resources Using Availability Score
You can use the availability score to help you decide the resource best suited, in terms of availability, to replace another on your project. An availability score is automatically generated for each of the resources to which you have access. The score indicates the nearest availability match between the replaced and the replacing resources. Availability is based on the duration of the assignment and the daily availability of the resource. Generally speaking, the higher the score, the closer the match.
Use these steps to replace a team staff member assigned to a task using an availability score to find a replacement.
Follow these steps:
- Open a project and click the Team tab.
- Click the Resource Finder
- Select the check box next to the resource to replace the previous resource, and click Replace.
- On the confirmation page, click Yes.