Add-in: PRINCE2 Accelerator - End of Life
Clarity PPMAccelerator for PRINCE2® (PRINCE2 Accelerator) includes dashboards, portlets, subpages, and processes that allow you to reflect your interpretation and implementation of the PRINCE2 project management methodology. This add-in provides a subset of all the forms from the official PRINCE2 content that is provided by the Office of Government Commerce (OGC).
- A notification has been sent to announce End of Life(EOL) for the NPD, PRINCE2, PMBOK, and EVM Add-ins forClarity PPMandClarity PPMSaaS.
- Add-ins are content offerings, not product functionality; therefore, when we EOL them we do not offer functional alternatives.
- Existing customers may continue to leverage the content, but it will not be available for new customers.
- A new customer installing future releases of the product will not be able to install these add-ins.
- Existing customers upgrading to future releases of the product will not get new versions of these add-ins.
With the release of Clarity PPM release 15.7.1, these Add-ins will no longer be enhanced, and maintenance and technical support will be discontinued effective December 2, 2019. Customers may continue to run and use the Clarity PPM Add-in products referenced above in production and non-production environments after the End-of-Life Date. However, after December 2, 2019, CA will no longer provide any fixes, patches, service packs, updates, upgrades, programmatic changes, new features, coverage for updated or new operating systems, databases, browsers, or any additional components.
The PRINCE2 project management methodology is a product-based planning approach. With the PRINCE2 Accelerator, you can track the progress of project tasks as individual products. The add-in lets you label the
Clarity PPMproject tasks as products and manage them as you would manage products in a PRINCE2 methodology.
The add-in provides a starting point to implement the PRINCE2 methodology into your existing project management system, and helps you customize to your organization requirements. The content and pages that are delivered with the PRINCE2 Accelerator are configurable using Studio. You can add attributes and forms, or contact CA Support and Customer Care for assistance.
You can roll up PRINCE2 projects into other programs and portfolios similar to other
Clarity PPMprojects. The PRINCE2 projects are displayed in various portfolio and program dashboards and dashboard layouts, and in
The PRINCE2 methodology consists of various processes and controls that you can apply through the lifecycle of a project. You can use PRINCE2 to identify the roles that are involved in a project, the tasks to assign to the roles, and when to assign the tasks. The set of processes and controls that the PRINCE2 methodology uses help you structure your project and identify the information that is needed throughout the project lifecycle.
The PRINCE2 methodology also helps you divide the project into manageable stages, allowing you to plan ahead more realistically, and use your resources at the time they are most needed. The PRINCE2 methodology helps you achieve these goals:
- A valid business case for your project that is thoroughly reviewed.
- A defined organization structure for the project management team.
- The involvement of management and stakeholders at the right time during the project lifecycle.
- A controlled and organized project structure with regular reviews of progress against original plan and the business case.
- The flexibility to apply the controls and processes at a level that is appropriate to the project. PRINCE2 can be applied to any project.
- A common language for all participants in the project. The various roles and responsibilities that are involved in a project are fully described and are adaptable to suit the complexity of the project and skills of the organization.
Using the PRINCE2 Methodology
An organization has many ways to implement and manage their projects using the PRINCE2 methodology. For example, consider a financial institution that manages banking. The organization is headquartered in the U.K. but has several offices in different countries. Project management offices exist that include a PRINCE2 certified project manager and project support staff. The offices are currently adopting the PRINCE2 methodology. The PRINCE2 project manager must create various reports (controls) throughout the various stages of the project. The goal is to have the reports reviewed and approved in a timely manner, and any requests for changes to the reports be immediately sent back to the project manager.
The following PRINCE2 sample workflows involve different PRINCE2 players that can be associated with the above scenario:
Workflow 1: PRINCE2 Project Manager Creates a Report
- The project manager creates a PRINCE2 report inClarity PPMand submits it for review.
- The project manager initiates the document review and approval process manually.
- The project board members receive a notification to review the report.
- Various project board members review and approve the report.
- Any necessary changes are communicated back to the project manager.
- The project manager reviews the report status from the PRINCE2 Dashboard, Project Report Status portlet.
- If report is rejected, the project manager makes changes and resubmits the report.
Workflow 2: Project Board Member Reviews a Report
- The project board member receives a notification asking them to review a specific report.
- The project board member navigates to the Action Items portlet in theClarity PPMOrganizer.
- The project board member selects the appropriate action item and drills down to the actual report.
- The project board member reviews the actual report contents and either approves or rejects the report.
- The approval status of the report changes and is reflected in Reports list view portlet, report properties page, and Project Report Status portlet.
Workflow 3: PRINCE2 Senior Executive/Senior User Drills Down to a Project from the Executive Dashboard
- InClarity PPM, a senior executive navigates to the Executive Dashboard.
- The senior executive selects the Project Status page.
- The senior executive sees a project that is running behind schedule and falling behind the desired run rate for products completed.
- The senior executive selects the specific project to drill down for more details.
- At the project level, the senior executive navigates to the task list and selects the product breakdown structure filter.
- The senior executive drills down to the product details and notices that no one is allocated to a particular product.
- Senior executive makes an informed decision on an appropriate response once a checkpoint report is routed for review and approval for this specific project.
PRINCE2 Document Review and Approval Process
A series of reports acts as a control mechanism throughout the project lifecycle. As each report is completed, the Project Board review and approval process reviews the various reports. When you create reports that are involved in the management of a typical PRINCE2 project, you perform the following tasks:
- Describe the product to deliver
- Formally initiate the project
- Create project stage plans
- Create checkpoint report
- Create a highlight report
- Create an exception report
- Create an end stage report
- Create a lesson learned report
As the PRINCE2 project manager completes and submits each report, the project board review and approval process is started automatically to review the report. The attributes on the report properties page become locked and can be edited again only if the report is rejected. The project board members (associated with the Senior Supplier access group) play a key role in reviewing the reports.
Project Board Review and Approval Process Workflow
For each completed PRINCE2 report, the review and approval process involves the following steps:
- The PRINCE2 project manager submits the report for review and approval to the project board members.
- The project board review process is initiated.
- The project board members receive a notification to conduct a review of the report. The project board members view their pending review items on the Action Items portlet from the overview page.
- As project board members review the report, comments and requests for clarifications are entered in the Notes page for that action item, or are exchanged externally fromClarity PPM.
- The project board members either approve or reject the report from the Action Item Details page.
- If one member rejects the report, the status is immediately updated to show "Rejected" on the report properties page. The review process then ends. The project manager must make any desired changes and resubmit the report for review.
- If all members review and approve the report, the status of the report changes to “Approved”. The process then ends.
- The PRINCE2 project manager receives a notification about the change in the report status (whether approved or rejected).
- After all board members have reviewed the report, the process ends.
The PRINCE2 Project Template
The PRINCE2 Accelerator includes the PRINCE2 Project Template. Associate the projects with this template to access the following project subpages exclusive to PRINCE2:
- Product Description
- Project Initiation Document
- Stage Plan
- Checkpoint Report
- Highlight Report
- Exception Report
- End Stage Report
- Lessons Learned Report