Set Up Currencies and Foreign Exchange Rates
To perform currency conversions for financial transactions, set up conversion rates. The currency code that you select becomes the default system currency for all financial management pages. Once you set a system currency, you cannot change it.
You must set up the system currency before you can do any of these tasks:
- Create entities and import them through the XML Open Gateway (XOG).
- Define financial properties and financial summaries for investments.
- Change your system from single-currency to multicurrency.
If multicurrency is enabled, you can view the default system currency. Multicurrency is enabled when you install
Classic PPM. To determine whether
Classic PPMis installed as a multicurrency system and the default system currency, review the Currency section in the financial management defaults.
Before you can use a currency in a conversion rate, activate the currency. You can complete this step only when the product is set up as a multicurrency system.
Follow these steps:
- ClickAdministration,Finance,Setup.The financial organizational structure appears.
- Select each currency that you want to activate, and clickActivate.
Set Up Conversion Rates
To perform currency conversions, set up conversion rates in both directions. For example, if you set up an exchange rate for INR to USD, you must also set up the reverse direction exchange rate from USD to INR. If you do not set up the reverse exchange rate, an error appears when you try to process transactions after changing the currency type.
You can complete this step only when the product is set up as a multicurrency system.
When entering a value for any money field (including custom money fields), the product supports and is limited to up to 18 digits. Any value after the 18th digit changes to a zero.
Follow these steps:
- ClickForeign Exchange Rates.
- Complete the six required fields on this page:
- From Currency: Select one of your active currencies.
- To Currency:Select another active currency for the conversion. If the currency you want does not appear in the list, activate it.
- Conversion Rate: Enter a decimal number between 0 and 1, or a multiplier between 1 and 2.
- Rate Calculation Method: Specify whether the conversion uses multiplication or division to calculate the exchange rate.
- Exchange Rate Type: Specify the stability period of the foreign exchange rate. As a general rule, specify Average. Fixed and Spot rate types are optional. Financial portlets and stock financial reports such as the Budget Forecast Analysis use Average. Transactions and the Billing View for cost plans use the type defined here on the Financial Settings page or in Financial default system settings for transactions.
- Average: A blended derived rate over a period of time, usually weekly or monthly.
- Fixed: A fixed rate that does not change over a period of time.
- Spot: A variable rate that changes over the course of the day.
- Effective Date: Specify the first day when you want the system to apply this new foreign exchange rate.
- ClickSave and Return.
Disable Currency Conversion
The program or project hierarchy can include child investments, services, or ideas that are associated with multiple currencies. To provide the financial rollup from multiple currencies, the product completes the following tasks:
- Converts the different currencies to the parent investment currency.
- Aggregates the converted values and rolls up the values to the parent investment currency.
If there is a large amount of data that needs currency conversion, you can run into a performance issue.
(On-Premise only)As an administrator, you can disable the currency conversion feature by running the following SQL query. Once you disable currency conversion, the product does not convert the child investment currencies to the parent currency before aggregating and rolling them up to the top level.
UPDATE CMN_OPTION_VALUES SET VALUE = '0' WHERE OPTION_ID= (SELECT ID FROM CMN_OPTIONS WHERE OPTION_CODE='CURRENCY_CONVERSION_REQUIRED')
To re-enable currency conversion after disabling it, run the following SQL query:
UPDATE CMN_OPTION_VALUES SET VALUE = '1' WHERE OPTION_ID= (SELECT ID FROM CMN_OPTIONS WHERE OPTION_CODE='CURRENCY_CONVERSION_REQUIRED')
SaaS customers can create a support ticket to disable or enable currency conversion for their systems.