Install HPE ALM Service
The HPE ALM Service is part of the CA Test Data Manager installation. If you have installed a stand-alone instance of (without CA Test Data Manager) and want to connect to HP Quality Center through the Service, you have to install the HPE ALM Service manually. This section takes you step by step through the installation and configuration process for installations with a MS SQL database.
The HPE ALM Service is part of the CA Test Data Manager installation. If you have installed a stand-alone instance of
Agile Requirements Designer(without CA Test Data Manager) and want to connect to HP Quality Center through the Service, you have to install the HPE ALM Service manually. This section takes you step by step through the installation and configuration process for installations with a MS SQL database.
We recommend that you connect to your HPE ALM instance using the REST API. It's the simpler method and does not require any configuration or installation. The REST API does not support importing BPTs. If you require to import BPTs, connect through the GT HPE ALM Service, as described in this installation article.
- Verify Prerequisites for ALM Integration (TDM documentation)
- Configure ALM Integration (TDM documentation)
Install and Configure the Service
- Install the Microsoft SQL Express to create an instance.
- Within a database in the server, run the provided scriptsSQLserverGT_web_log.sqlandgtrep_insert_web_log.sqlto add a table and a procedure to the database. You can find the scripts in the<installation_path>\Scripts\SQLServerdirectory.
- Ensure that that TCP/IP is enabled for this server:
- OpenSQL Server Configuration Manager, SQL Server Network Configuration, Protocolsfor your server name.
- Right-click onTCP/IPand selectEnable(you might be required to restart the computer).
- Enable the group policy settings:
- Typegpedit.mscin the command prompt and press Enter.
- In the policy editor navigate to this node:Computer Configuration,Administrative Templates,System,User Profiles.
- Under the User Profiles pane on the right, set the policyDo not forcefully unload the user’s registry at user logofftoEnabled.
- Add a firewall exception:
- Go to theStartmenu, typewf.mscin the search field and press the Enter key.
- ClickInbound Rules, New Ruleand selectPort.
- Enter the port which the ALM service will use (typically, 8095) inSpecific local portsand clickNext.
- Select theAllow the connectionoption and clickNext.
- In the Profile dialog, select all options.
- Provide name and description for the rule (for example, "Opened port 8095 for Grid-Tools ALM") and clickFinish.
- Running Internet Explorer in administrator mode, go to the URL of the ALM you are connecting to (for example, http://alm.yourcompany.com:8080/qcbin/) and clickDownload ALM client registration.Tools,HPE ALM Connectivity,Download.
- Install the HPE ALM service by running thesetup_GTALMService.exefile.
- Go toC:\Grid-Tools\GTHPALMService\GTHPALMService_ConfigEditor, open theALMserviceConfigEditor.exeand configure the first tab:
- ALM URL: the same one as earlier (for example, http://alm.yourcompany.com:8080/qcbin/)
- Service address: http://localhost:8095/ (replace the * with localhost)
- ALM Version: ALM 12 Patch
- ClickVerifyto test whether you have access.
- Edit the Connection String tab:
- Data Base: SQL server
- Data Source: Enter the name of the instance that you created.
- User Id: Enter username of login to server. If you are using integrated security, enter 'admin'.
- Password: Enter the corresponding password. If you are using integrated security, enter 'admin'.
- Initial Catalog: Enter the name of the database where you installed the tables from before.
- ClickVerifyandSave. If using you are integrated security, this will not connect yet.
- Specify exactly the same settings as on theEdit Log configurationConnection Stringtab.
- If you are using Windows integrated security, edit the config file:
- Close the ALMserviceConfigEditor.
- OpenGTHPALMServiceConsole.exe.configlocated inC:\Grid-Tools\GTHPALMService\.
- Findadd name="connStr" connectionString=.
- Replace any user ID and password withIntegrated Security=TrueExample:connectionString="Data Source=SMITH01;Integrated Security=True;Initial Catalog=HP_ALM_TEST;Network Library=dbmssocn;"
- FindconnectionString value=.There should be two locations, one for Oracle servers, one for Microsoft SQL. Edit the SQL one.
- Replace the userID and password fields withIntegratedSecurity=True.
- SaveandClose.The service is installed and configured.
- Start the Service
- Open the ALMserviceConfigEditor.
- Verify all the tabs. The log tabs have empty username and passwords if you are using Windows integrated security.
- Go to the Status tab and clickCreate Task.
- Enter the username and password details for the machine you are working on.
- ClickStart Service.
Now you are ready to connect, map attributes, and start using the integration. For more information, see Integrate With HPE ALM (GT HPE ALM Service).