To begin the data masking process, click
Data Maskingin the left-hand navigation pane. Then click
Start Maskingfrom the menu below
Data Masking. From this page you can also download the Fast Data Masker (FDM) Configuration, to allow you to perform the masking yourself in FDM.
You can begin the data masking process when you have the following:
- A Data Model
- Tags on columns in this Data Model to show that they contain PII (either from PII Scan or added manually)
If you do not have a Data Model, the page displays a 'Perform Data Discovery' button. If you click this, the
Data Discoverypage opens.
Create a Masking Configuration
The first Start Masking page contains the following options:
- Mask all Tagged Columns in:You have the option to mask tagged columns according to one of the following options:
If you check the box "Exclude tables marked as 'Not PII'", CA TDM does not mask tables that you manually marked as 'Not PII' in the Data Model section. This option overrides any tags you assign to columns in these tables.
- All tablesMask data in all tagged columns from all tables in the selected Environment
- Confirmed tables onlyOnly mask data in tagged columns, in tables which you manually mark as 'Confirmed' on the Data Model heat map display.
- Select Environment to MaskYou can choose to apply the masking configuration to:
- Current Environment
- Other Environment(select environment from drop-down menu)
- Masking scopeYou can choose to apply the masking configuration to:
- Whole Environment
- Specific Data Sources(select data sources from drop-down menu)
- Mask Data in Preview ModeIf you check this option, Fast Data Masker (FDM) does not mask the data. FDM creates an audit file, which contains the results of the masking process on the data you want to be mask.
- Show pre-masked samples in the Audit ReportIncludes the unmasked source data in the audit report, and saves it in TDM's repository. This allows you to compare the data before and after masking. You can delete this data at any time from the Masking Jobs page.
The following page contains a Summary of your Masking job, and Additional Options.
There are two Additional Options available to you on this page. You should use these if you want to mask the data yourself using Fast Data Masker.
Download FDM Configuration
CA TDM downloads a zip file with the FDM configurations into your web browser's default download location.
The FDM configuration zip file includes the following files:
- info.txt fileIncludes details about the PII data scan job such as:
- if only confirmed tables included
- if any not PII tables are excluded
- for each connection profile, includes connection profile name, database type and the server name.
- sub-directories:These are organised by Connection Profile > Server > Database > Schema.Each schema directory contains the following files:
- Text fileIncludes connection details for FDM to connect to a database.
- CSV fileIncludes the masking rules for tables and columns for a particular database.
- Batch fileRunning the batch file (.bat) automatically uses the Connection Profile details in the text file and the masking rules in the csv file to perform masking in FDM.
- options.txtA text file that contains the masking job's settings, as defined on the Masking Settings page.
- run_mask_all.txt:It is a batch (.bat) file which is by default saved as a .txt file and performs masking on all your databases. To use the run_mask_all.txt file, rename the extension from .txt to .bat and run it on a Windows machine with FDM installed to perform masking on all your databases.
Generate and Download Database Constraints Scripts
Generate and Download Constraints scripts, to download SQL scripts to disable and enable database constraints on Primary and Foreign keys, which may prevent completion of the mask job. If you need to disable database constraints, you should run the Pre-scripts before you execute the masking job, and run the Post-scripts after you execute the masking job. This applies to masking through CA TDM Portal, and to masking with FDM.
If you choose this option, CA TDM downloads a ZIP file that contains the scripts for each database. The directory structure of this ZIP file is:
- Connection Profile
Start Masking Process
When you are happy with the settings, select a
Schedulefor your masking job. This can be:
- NowThe job runs immediately
- ScheduleThe job runs at the time you select
A warning displays, to inform you that the masking job will replace data for the Environments and Databases that you have selected. Click
Confirmto start this job.
The Masking Jobs page displays. The new masking job begins and is added to the table of masking jobs.