Upgrade Product Components
This section provides an overview on how to upgrade an existing installation. The following upgrade paths are supported:
This section provides an overview on how to upgrade an existing
Test Data Managerinstallation. The following upgrade paths are supported:
- 4.0 and 4.1 to 4.2
- 4.1 and 4.2 to 4.3
- 4.2 and 4.3 to 4.4
- 4.3 and 4.4 to 4.5
- 4.4 and 4.5 to 4.6
- 4.5 and 4.6 to 4.7For upgrades to versions earlier than v4.8, please refer to this page in the specific version you need.
- 4.6 and 4.7 to 4.8
- 4.7 and 4.8.1 to 4.9
Follow a supported upgrade path to avoid repository and licensing compatibility issues.
Change to upgrade procedure with version 4.8
Test Data Manager4.8 is the first version in which you
gtreprepository from within the Datamaker software. It is now necessary to upgrade the TDM Portal in order to upgrade
Test Data ManagerPortal, follow the instructions to Upgrade TDM Portal in Windows.
Download the media from Broadcom Support. Select 4.9 and download the required files as per your environment requirement:
- CA Test Data Manager Full Package – For both DataMaker and TDM portal upgrade on Windows.
- CA Test Data Manager Portal for Docker – TDM portal on docker
The following 2 installers are available:
- TDM Portal InstallerThis installer upgrades the TDM Portal software to the latest version (4.8). See Upgrade TDM Portal in Windows for more information.The first time you start the TDM Portal service after installation, the service also upgrades thegtreprepository. See Upgrade gtrep manually for information on an alternative method.If you upgradegtrep, GTServer applications from a previous versiondo not functionwith the upgraded gtrep repository! For all TDM applications, thegtreprepository version must match the application version.
- GTServer InstallerThis installer upgrades the non-Portal components of TDM (Datamaker, GT Subset, etc). This installerdoes notupgrade gtrep.If you run this upgradebeforethe TDM Portal service upgrades gtrep, the upgraded GTServer applicationsdo not function! For all TDM applications, thegtreprepository version must match the application version.
Backup gtrep repository
We recommend that you backup your
gtreprepository before you upgrade the CA TDM software.
This process varies depending on your database. Check with your Database Administrator for more information on how to proceed.
Upgrade the gtrep repository manually
From CA TDM 4.8, the TDM Portal service can manage the
gtreprepository upgrade automatically.
To disable the TDM Portal service's automatic upgrade of the
gtreprepository, uncheck the
Start CA Test Data Manager Portal serviceoption in the TDM Portal installer.
When you first run the TDM Portal service after installation, the service upgrades the
gtreprepository automatically if the repository is not for the correct version, or installs
gtrepif it is not present.
If you prefer to use the
Schema Managementtools provided to upgrade this repository yourself, refer to this guide.
Follow these steps:
- Ensure that the TDM Portal service is not active.You can check which services are active from the WindowsServicesdialog (click Start, Services).
- (Optional) To examine the files that the upgrade tool executes:
- Navigate toC:\Program Files\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal\schema-management\lib\(in a default installation).This directory contains the compressed fileTDMGtrepSchema-.version.jar
- UnzipTDMGtrepSchema-to a temporary location.version.jarThis compressed file contains the directory/db/migration/gtrep/[oracle/SQLserver](oracle/SQLserver depends on which kind of database you use forgtrep).This directory contains the individual files, that theschema-management.batfile executes.
- To execute thegtrepupgrade:
- Navigate toC:\Program Files\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal\schema-management\bin\(in a default installation).This directory contains the fileschema-management.bat. You can use this batch file to migrate your existing gtrep entries to a new database.
- You can executeschema-management.batwith the following arguments:
- -mMigrate the data from your existinggtreprepository to the upgraded repository.
- -iShows what has been applied, and what will be applied by migration.
- <none>Without any argument, execution ofschema-management.batdisplays help for the user.
Schema Management tool logs
The Schema Management tool logs changes to
gtrep. These logs are located at the following locations:
- When the tool executesat TDM Portal startup:C:\ProgramData\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal\logs\TDMSchemaManagementStartup.log
- When you execute the toolmanually:C:\ProgramData\CA\CA Test Data Manager Portal\logs\TDMSchemaManagement.log
Upgrade product components with the GTServer Installer
Prepare for Upgrade
Before you upgrade TDM components, we recommend that you backup your
gtreprepository. We also recommend that you backup configurations for each TDM component.
Back up all enabled
Test Data Managerconfigurations as follows, using the TDoD Config Editor as an example:
- Navigate to TDM_HOME\Grid-Tools\TDoD\TDoD_Config Editor and run TDoDConfigEditor.exe.
- On the Configure Server tab, click Backup.The config editor creates a backup of the configuration file, and a confirmation message appears.
- Back up other enabled config editors using the same process.
Other config editors that support backup are:
- Remote Publish Engine
- Rally Batch Service
- HP ALM Service
- Group Job Process Executor
- HP ALM Batch Configuration Service
Perform the Upgrade
To perform the upgrade, it is necessary to download the software and install it on all systems where
Test Data Managercomponents exist. If you have
Test Data Managercomponents that are installed on multiple systems, you must run the upgrade on each system.
- Download the latest release from the Download Center on Broadcom Support.
- Extract the downloaded zip file on the systems where you want to perform the upgrade.
- Run setup_GTServer_version.exe:
- The GT Server installer detects the existence of all prerequisites and clears all prerequisite check boxes.
- Select allTest Data Managercomponents that exist on the current system.
- The GT Server installer upgrades each component by running the different component installers. For components that store configuration settings, the installer automatically takes a backup of your current settings and restores those settings after the upgrade.
- Repeat Step 3 on all systems that containTest Data Managercomponents.
The GT Server installer creates installation logs in the Temp folder (%TEMP%). You can find the log files during both fresh installation and upgrade cases. A typical log file name has the following format:
For example, the GT HP ALM Service version 184.108.40.206 creates a file named
GT HP ALM Service_220.127.116.11.login the Temp folder during installation.