ems (Event Management Service) Release Notes
The ems probe is a core event and alarm management service for CA UIM.
Support cases might not be visible to all customers.
(Included in UIM 20.3.0)
(Included in UIM 20.1.0)
This version of ems is available as part of the CA UIM 8.4 SP1 release.
Probe-Specific Hardware Requirements
The ems probe has the following hardware requirements.
The ems stores data in .csv files in the following location on the Primary Hub Server:
After deployment, monitor this folder to ensure that you have sufficient disk space for your alarm data. You can also change the data retention period in the ems probe GUI to save disk space. By default, transaction history for the ems probe is stored for 30 days.
Probe-Specific Software Requirements
The ems probe must be installed on a Primary Hub running CA Unified Infrastructure Management Server version 8.4 or later.
The ems probe available for deployment from the archive in either Admin Console or Infrastructure Manager.
To upgrade to 10.17 from 9.x, follow these steps, on the primary hub server:
- Deactivate the ems probe.
- Delete the ems db folder from the following location:<UIM_Installation>\Nimsoft\probes\service\ems\db
- If CA UIM is integrated with CA Spectrum:
- Deactivate the spectrumgtw probe.
- Delete SpectrumAlarmsCache.dat and UimAlarmsCache.dat from<UIM_Installation>\Nimsoft\probes\gateway\spectrumgtw\cache. Also, clear EMS/NAS alarms from the CA Spectrum oneclick console. You can filter by the column “Source” to identify the EMS/NAS alarms.
- Deploy the latest version of the ems probe.
- Activate the ems probe.
- Activate the spectrumgtw probe (If CA UIM is integrated with CASpectrum).
This section describes the known issues and workarounds, if any, for the ems probe.
(ems 10.20 or later) :ems probe fails to start on secondary hub. Unable to delete db cache.
By default, when ems is setup in HA probe, and ems on primary goes down, the db cache is automatically cleared before the ems probe is up on secondary hub. This is done to avoid duplication of alarms
If the db cache is not cleared automatically, when starting ems on secondary hub, and if isprimary = false on primary hub ems; probe fails to start and you get an error
stating unable to delete db.
Workaround-Do the following:
Navigate to \Nimsoft\probes\service\ems\db, delete the db folder, and restart the probe.
(ems 8.50 or Earlier) Field Inconsistency Between ems and nas
alarm_closelifecycle messages generated by the nas probe contain the
closed_alarmstable property. In ems, the same property is called
Alarms Do Not Support Correlations or Correlation Extensions
You cannot add a correlation or correlation extension to an alarm message. To group instances of an alarm message, apply the
<correlationExtension>elements to the associated event rule.
Some Fields Not Emitted in Legacy Alarm Lifecycle Messages
The following fields are not emitted in the legacy alarm lifecycle messages that are generated by the
Send NAS-style Lifecycle Messagesoption in ems:
- Custom fields 1-5
- User tags 1-2
If you are using a gateway probe that depends on these fields, configure the Alarm Routing Service to route those alarm messages to nas.
Garbled Non-ASCII Characters in Alarm Messages
I see garbled characters in alarm messages.
By default, UTF-8 is the encoding that is used for incoming messages to the ems probe. Because of this, you might see garbled non-ASCII characters in the alarm messages of probes that are not using UTF-8 encoding.
The workaround for this issue depends on the probes that you are using:
- Some probes contain a GUI option that allows you to select UTF-8 encoding for outgoing messages (For example, logmon or ntevl). In these cases, select UTF-8 from theOutput Encodingcombo-box.
- If you are using probes that do not contain theOutput Encodingoption (for example, ntservices or processes), you can turn off UTF-8 encoding. UTF-8 encoding must be turned off in the following locations:
Follow these steps:
- Turn off UTF-8 encoding in the wasp probe.
- In Infrastructure Manager, double-click the wasp probe.
- Click theSetuptab.
- In the sectionExtra Java VM arguments, remove the argument-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
- Restart the probe.
- Turn off UTF-8 encoding in the alarm_enrichment, trellis, and ems probes.
- In Infrastructure Manager, select the alarm_enrichment probe.
- Right-click and selectEdit...
- In theArgumentsfield, remove-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
- Restart the probe.
- Repeat these steps for the trellis and ems probes.
The Send NAS-style Lifecycle Messages Option Requires ems Probe Restart
If you select the
Send NAS-style Lifecycle Messagesoption in the ems GUI, the changes do not take effect until the ems probe is restarted.
The ems Probe Does Not Contain Auto-Clear Capability
Currently, the ems probe does not support auto-clear capability for alarms. If you are using Time Over Threshold with ems, you must manually clear your Time Over Threshold alarms.
Unsupported CA UIM Components
The ems probe does not currently support use of the following components in CA UIM:
- CA Business Intelligence dashboards
- Failover using the ha probe
- Topology and Root Cause Analysis
- Unified Reports