zdataservice (Data Service Probe) Release Notes
The zdataservice Probe monitors the operational functionalities of the CA Unified Infrastructure Management for z Systems.
This section describes the history of the revisions for the zdataservice probe.
Fixed a bug with data collection from multiple data collectors.
This release introduces integration with the znetwork (Network Monitoring) Probe.
This version fixes an issue that was recently detected. For more information, see Fixed Issues.
Updated Probe Specific Software Requirements for the z/VM Data Collector in the zdataservice (Data Service Probe) Release Notes.
The z/VM Data Collector now includes support for the following operating systems:
Probe Specific Software Requirements
To implement the probe, verify that your system meets the following minimum system requirements:
Supported Operating Systems for the Data Service Probe
- Windows Server 2012 (Memory: 800 MB)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Memory: 800 MB)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.6
CA Unified Infrastructure ManagementServer
- CA Unified Infrastructure Managementserver version 8.2 or later
The following sections describe the components and configurations that are required for the z Systems probes.
The znetwork Probe requires the following components and configurations:
- The Data Collector for z/OS is installed and configured. The Data Collector for z/OS requires the following:
- z/OS:You can install the Data Collector for z/OS on z/OS versions 1.13, 2.1 and 2.2.
- Java:The Data Collector for z/OS requires the latest service release of Java 7 (64-bit).
- CA Common Services r14.1:CA Common Services r14.1 (base product) is a prerequisite component that you need to install the Data Collector for z/OS. You can install the data collector using CA Chorus Software Manager or using Sample JCL. If necessary, you can download CA Common Services r14.1 from support.ca.com.
- The zdataservice probe is configured to communicate with the Data Collector for z/OS.
zops and zstorage Probes
The zops Probe and zstorage Probe require the following components and configurations:
- IBM CIM Server is installed and configured. You can install CIM Server on the following platforms:
- z/OS 1.13 with CIM version 2.11.2
- z/OS 2.1 with CIM version 2.12.1
- The zdataservice Probe is installed and configured.
The zvm Probe requires the following components and configurations:
- The Data Collector for z/VM is installed and configured. The Data Collector for z/VM requires the following:
- Required privilege classes: G
- Red Hat: 256 MB for Red Hat
- SuSE: 1.5 GB
- Free disk space: 220 MB (70 MB for installation, 150 MB of free disk space for logging)
- Supported Operating Systems
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.5, 6.6, or 6.7
- SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 or 12
- IBM Java Runtime Environment:
- Java SE Version 7 SR1 FP1, or,
- Java SE Version 8 SR1
- The zdataservice Probe is installed and configured to communicate with the z/VM system.
Required Language Packs
The z Systems probes require the following language packs:
- ci_defn_packis installed on the robot hosting the nis_server infrastructure probe.
- mps_language_packis installed on the robot hosting service_host.
- wasp_language_packis installed on the robot hosting WASP.
The following issues are known to exist in this release of the probe:
- When recycling TCP/IP stacks, the Data Collector for z/OS shuts down to prevent excessive spool usage and overflowed log files. As a result, you must recycle the Data Collector for z/OS after you recycle the TCP/IP stack. This behavior occurs due to a tight exception loop in the Jetty server where the exceptions are not handled properly.
- Under various conditions, CIM Server reports the file system size for network and hierarchical file systems incorrectly. This behavior causes the Percentage Utilized metric to equal 100percent when the Available Space metric is greater than zero.IBM recently released an APAR to address this problem. To correct this behavior, apply the following APAR that corresponds with your z/OS operating system to your environment:
- z/OS 1.13: UA79059
- z/OS 2.1: UA79122
- z/OS 2.2: UA79047
- Under various conditions, CIM Server reports empty Names for Address Spaces and the incorrect type of the address space.
- If the probe queries the CIM server when it is in the process of starting, the CIM server can shut down unexpectedly. As a best practice, we recommend that you start the CIM server before you configure the probe to collect data.
- When you add and then immediately delete the added row/rows in the CIM Server Connections or z/VM Server Data Collector Connections table on the zdataservice Probe Configuration window, and then save the configuration, deleted rows may not be deleted, or some of the existing rows may be replicated. To avoid this situation, always reopen the configuration window, delete the row/rows, and then click Save.
The following issue was fixed in version 1.11 of the probe:
- Excessive, unclosed TCP/IP connections to the z/VM data collector host, the LPAR where CIM server is running, or both may cause the Data Service server to stop responding. This behavior can prevent other products from connecting to the TCP/IP service on z/VM and z/OS systems. To correct this behavior, download and upgrade to the 1.11 version of the Data Service Probe.