Set Up Automated Usage Metering and Billing
Automated Usage Metering and Billing is an automated billing process if use your CA UIM environment as follows:
Automated Usage Metering and Billingis an automated billing process if use your CA UIM environment as follows:
- Licenses based on quantity and minimum commitment (Min-Commit) subscriptions, or
- Non-subscription contracts that require periodic auditing for renewals
From usage_metering version 9.01, the
Automated Usage Metering and Billingprocess does not require the billing probe.
(From usage_metering version 9.01) Set Up Automated Usage Metering and Billing
Automated Usage Metering and Billingprocess automates the workflows and eliminates the manual effort that is required to upload a report to CA. To deliver reports, you can either "opt-in" to enable the automatic transfer of billing reports to CA through a secured web gateway channel, or manually email the reports, which are always stored locally.
Customers under Enterprise Software PLA are required to enable esdplatelemetry and share the usage data.
Ensure the following before you set up
Automated Usage Metering and Billing:
- Verify that the required hardware and software are available and all considerations are understood before you configure the probes.
Configure Automated Usage Metering and Billing
You can configure the
Automated Usage Metering and Billingprocess to automatically scan your CA UIM environment.
Follow these steps:
- Scan your CA UIM environment with theusage_meteringprobe to identify usage items within the managed environment. For more information, see usage_metering IM Configuration.
- The CA account representative reviews the report and contacts the customer to discuss any overages. Accordingly, CA generates an invoice.
Usage_metering probe is used for generating the reports for the Non-PLA Customers and ESD PLA Telemetry is used for generating reports for the PLA customers.
(Until usage_metering version 8.0) Set Up Automated Usage Metering and Billing
Manual Usage Metering and Billing Process
The manual process requires you to follow these steps:
- Install a CA subscription file into your CA UIM environment
- Deployed the usage_metering probe across the environment
- Deploy the billing probe to collect the information that is generated by usage_metering and generate a monthly Billing Report
- Email the report to CA Sales.
Using this process, configuration issues are common and you must manually collect the storage capacity information and enter it into the report.
Automated Usage Metering and Billing Process
The automated process requires you to follow these steps:
- The usage_metering probe scans your UIM environment to identify usage items within the managed environment.
- The billing probe collects usage item data from all the usage_metering instances in the environment, performs the calculations required to generate a billing report, and creates the report. Note that:
- The billing probe runs once a week and on the first day of the month at the configured time (default is 2:00 AM) to retrieve usage metering data and generate a report.
- The weekly report shows the progression of usage over the month. The monthly report shows total usage for the previous month.
- The reports contain customer information fetched from the webgtw configuration.
- All reports are saved in a local folder, which is stored in the UIM database, and delivered to CA.
- Immediately after it creates the report, the billing probe delivers the report as a payload for webgtw.
- Webgtw emails the report to CA.
- The CA account representative reviews the report and contacts the customer to discuss any overages.
- CA issues an invoice.
Before you configure this process, you must:
- Ensure that your environment has been upgraded to NMS 7.5 or later, or to UIM Server 8.0.
- Download the following probes from the web archive to your local archive:
- Obtain yourCustomer_IDfrom CA (a 4- to 8-digit number). You need this number to configure the webgtw probe.
Deploy Webgtw and PPM
Webgtw v8.0 and later generates a unique Instance ID and contains the company information that you enter during configuration. These items are automatically included in your billing reports. We recommend you deploy and configure webgtw even if you choose not to automatically transfer of your reports.
PPM v2.39 or later provides the webgtw configuration GUI.
To deploy webgtw and ppm, follow these steps.
- Determine which robot hosts the web gateway probe. If you plan to opt-in to automatic billing report transfer, this system must either:
- Have direct access to the Internet through https port 443, or
- Be able to use a designated proxy server.
- Using Admin Console, deploy webgtw 8.0 to that robot.
- The webgtw probe starts, then creates aninstance_id, a globally unique ID (GUID) for your UIM Server installation. This ID is used to identify your reports to CA.
- Deploy ppm 2.39 to the system that hosts Admin Console (typically the primary hub).If either webgtw or ppm does not automatically start, activate the probe manually.
Deployment is complete.
Follow these steps.
- Log in to Admin Console and open the webgtw probe configuration GUI.
- On theContact Informationnode:
- Instance IDis your system-generated GUID (read-only).
- Customer ID(provided in your initial email from CA), Company nameand Contact email addressare optional. If you enter the information here, it is automatically included in your reports.
- If necessary, specifyProxy Configuration:
- Specify theproxy server,port, anduser credentials.
- SelectActions > Ping Test.
- SelectActions > Test your proxy configuration.
- Click Save.
Configuration is complete.
Deploy or Upgrade Usage Metering (if necessary)
The usage_metering probe scans your UIM environment to identify the devices you are monitoring. The results are retrieved by the billing probe, which must reside on the same robot as usage_metering.
If usage_metering is already deployed in your UIM environment, you do not need to upgrade. Older versions of the UM probe are compatible with the new process and provides consistent data for the billing probe. However, we recommend that you upgrade all instances of the probe to version 8.0 or later to take advantage of performance improvements.
If you need to:
- Upgrade usage_metering, deactivate the billing and usage_metering probes before you upgrade.
- Deploy usage_metering, consider the following:
- An instance of usage_metering must reside on the same robot as the billing probe. This is called theprimary instance.
- The probe must perform DNS resolution to uniquely identify a probe's device references. Often, the DNS needed to correctly resolve a device reference is not available to the primary instance. To address this, deploy a secondary instance to a hub that can access a DNS.
- Once usage_metering is deployed, no further configuration is required.
For more information about usage_metering, refer to usage_metering on the CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes site.
Deploy or Upgrade Billing
The billing probe collects usage item data from usage_metering, then performs the calculations that are required to generate a billing report.
If billing is has not been deployed or upgraded, deploy billing 8.0. In most environments, billing is deployed to the primary hub; however, it can be deployed to a secondary hub. For more information about usage_metering, refer to billing on the CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes site.
Note the following:
- Older versions required you to import a subscription file. This is no longer required. The latest subscription files are packaged with the new version and are used automatically.
- As of version 8.0, the billing probe either retrieves the customer name from the webgtw probe or derives it from a legacy billing report. If webgtw is not active and no legacy reports exist, you need to enter the customer name in the report header.
- In most environments, billing is deployed to the primary hub; however, it can be deployed to a secondary hub. See the billing probe configuration document for more information.
- Configuration is not required. By default, the probe runs at 2:00 AM local time once per week, and again on the first day of each month to generate the report for the prior month.
- Billing 8.0 is configured with theRaw Configureutility. To configure earlier versions, use Infrastructure Manager. Configuration through Admin Console will be available in a future release.
- In a future version, CA plans to have webgtw post an informational alarm when the billing report is sent. This notification audit the report by viewing the file that is saved on the file system, and if desired contact the Sales Account Rep to discuss the findings. In the mean time, you need to use your favorite means of reminding yourself to review the published reports.
(Until CA NMS 7.6) Set Up Automated Usage Metering and Billing
CA only supports CA UIM 8.2 and later.
Follow these steps to use earlier CA UIM versions:
- Install CA UIM 8.0 or later on another system.
- Deploy the webgtw probe.
- Configure the webgtw probe and save the configuration.
- Copy thewebgtw.cfgfile from the<CA UIM installation directory>\probes\service\webgtwdirectory to the<CA NMS installation directory>\probes\service\webgtwdirectory of your primary hub.