Universes let the administrator refine the number and types of components into easy to use authorization groups. This refined group is a universe. For security reasons, there is no default assignment to all users. To view
DX APM, each user must be allocated to a universe. If no universe is associated with the user ID, the user is warned. As an administrator, create universes for users. Use the default universe, called
All Components, or create a custom universe.
The administrator performs the following tasks to configure universes:
- Creates a universe to the needs of users or user groups.
- Applies a filter to select component data from the data set.
- (Optional) Creates numerous universes to create a series of manageable spaces. Users can easily switch between the spaces to make navigation of the environment easier.
- (Optional) Ensures that specific user access is restricted as required by company security requirements.
Create a universe based on domains. Create a
Metric Sourcesfilter and use the same regular expression/s from your domain definition. Create a filter for the map components that is based on the
agentDomainattribute, select the domain that you require and select
As an APM administrator, assign at least one universe to each user so they can access content.
A universe consists of:
- A name - a unique identifier
- A description - an optional text to describe the universe
- Metric Source filter - applicable in a Metric view and in Metric charts in the Map view.
- Map Components filter - applicable in all map-based views, namely Map view, Dashboard view, Experience view, and Agent view.
- Management Module filter - applicable when viewing content of the management module, e.g. alerts in the Map view or Dashboard view, setting definitions of calculator, metric sources, and alerts.
- A list of users – users with access to this universe
Some universes are created by default:
- TheAll componentsuniverse is created automatically and contains all components in the map, metric source, and management modules.
- TheEnterpriseuniverse includes all components in the environment. This universe built-in cannot be deleted or defined and is assigned to administrators only. The purpose of this universe is to provide administrators with access to all data. This universe is not even listed in thesettingpage of the universes.
All My Universesis available in the
Experienceview and in the
Agentsview, if more than one universe is assigned. This universe shows data from all users' universes all together. For more information, see KB000113376: Users with Read Access in Team Center can't See All My Universes View.
Two different use cases are available for creating universes:
- Create a universe for navigation- Create universes for navigation to provide users with a series of pre-configured filtered environments. Users can switch between the environments to view different areas of a complex environment quickly.
- Create a universe for security- Create universes for security to restrict the components of the environment that an individual user can view. We recommend that you base the content of a security universe on transaction paths and that you create custom attributes at boundaries that enable analysts to identify the continuation of the path. If your environment uses domains, the agentDomain attribute is populated by default. Use the agentDomain attribute as a filter condition to create a universe that matches the permissions restrictions of the specified domain.
Create a Universe
When defining a new universe, you can grant different rights to users and user groups to access the universe, select metric sources, map components and manage modules.
Follow these steps:
- Consider the content that you want to define in this universe.
- SelectUniversesin the left pane and then selectNew Universe.A dialog pane opens.The definitions added to a tab will be propagated to the corresponding individual part of the application. For example, the definitions added to the Map components will be applied to the Map, and the definitions added to the Metric Sources will be applied to the Metric Browser. Other parts of the application will not be affected.
- Assign a name to the new universe.
- (Optional) Add a description for the universe.
- In theAccessview, you grant different access rights to this universe to users and/or user groups.
- Select the right you want to grant:
- Read:Lets users see the components selected in the universe.
- Edit:Lets users modify the components selected in the universe and add attributes or rules to the map components. It also includes Read rights.
- Manage:Lets users modify the access rights to the universe. This is the way how administrators can delegate assigning access rights to other users. It also includes Read and Edit rights.
- Select the user or user group you want to grant the right to from the dropdown list.
- ClickAdd UserorAdd Groupto add the selected user or user group to the universe.
- (Optional) Select a different right and user or user group and add them to the list.
- In theMetric Sourcesview,
The metric sources of the universes created before version 20.11 need to be reconfigured.
- Select all metric sources, including future components. If you select this option, the universe will contain all map sources (agents) and nothing will be filtered out.
- Customize the metric sources by selecting a subset of individual agents and/or adding a regular expression. Regular expressions are based on hostname|processname|agentname. Examples of expressions:
ClickReloadin the dialog at the bottom of the page to see a preview of the sub-tree for the selected agents.
- myhost\|.* - selects all agents running on host “myhost”. The pipe character is escaped with a backslash as it is a regex control character.
- usnye.* - selects agents from all host with the prefix “usnye”.
- .*\|.*\|dmn13t.* - selects all agents with the prefix “dmn13t”.
- In theMap Componentsview, select one of the following:
- Map all components (including future components). If you select this option, the universe will contain all map components and nothing is filtered out.
- Use theMetric Sourcesfilter. If you select this option, the universe will contain all map components generated by agents selected by theMetric Sourcesfilter.
- Customize the filter. Define a map filter to select the required map components. This filter is the same as the one in theMapview.
- In theManagement Modulesview, select one of the following:
- All items (including future items).
- One or more items from the list.
- TheInfoview is generated after saving the universe. It contains an overview of the universe definitions, including the number of components in various parts of the application (for example, map and metric view).
- SelectSave.As an administrator, you can also create a universe directly from the Map in the 'Enterprise' Universe. Define the map filters and selectSave as Universein the top-right corner to save the current filtered map nodes as a universe.
Modify a Universe
Follow these steps:
- SelectUniversesin the left pane.
- Identify the universe that you want to modify and selectEdit.
- Follow the steps described in the Create a Universe section.
Delete a Universe
Follow these steps:
- SelectUniversesin the left pane.
- Identify the universe that you want to remove and selectDelete.
- Confirm the deletion.