NGINX is a high-performance web server. You can use NGINX as a reverse proxy server, load balancer, mail proxy server, or an HTTP cache. The NGINX monitoring is provided as an extension in the Infrastructure Agent. The extension provides both the NGINX Infrastructure monitoring and performance of services that are hosted on the NGINX server.
As an administrator, you can use the extension to monitor the health status of connections and upstream servers in your NGINX environment. The NGINX monitoring extension comprises of following two modules: NGINX Infrastructure Monitoring and NGINX Hosted Services Monitoring.
NGINX Hosted Services Monitoring
The NGINX Hosted Services Monitoring module provides a plug-in that is dynamically loaded into NGINX runtime and is used to provide metrics and transaction traces for the NGINX instance that
The monitoring solution provides Transaction Traces for each request to the NGINX server, which is correlated with the Transaction Traces of the caller and the receiver, only when
DX APMmonitors the caller and receiver services.
For each unique URI that is requested to an NGINX instance, the module creates a vertex in Map View, which displays the correlation of the upstream and downstream services. The Map View also displays the correlation of Application to Infrastructure, along with the node that the NGINX Infrastructure Monitoring module provides.
You can use the NGINX Hosted Services Monitoring module to monitor the following NGINX versions: NGINX-Plus Version and NGINX Community Version.
Features and Benefits
The NGINX monitoring extension offers you the following benefits:
- Monitor the availability of the following versions of NGINX: NGINX-Plus Version, NGINX Community Version, and NGINX Hosted Services.
- Enables you to proactively detect and isolate the performance problems related to NGINX and provide faster problem resolution.
- Ability to take the corrective action for the failed cases by executing the custom scripts to start your NGINX server.
- Fetch NGINX-related performance metrics, which you can use to monitor the active connections, requests in the wait state, response time, the requests that are served by the NGINX server, and more.
- Provides notification in the form of alerts when the NGINX servers deviates from the expected performance.
- Supports in-depth live activity monitoring of the HTTP requests based on status and upstream server.
The following NGINX versions are supported: