Create or Extend Vendor Certifications
Create vendor certifications for the vendors or devices that you want to support. To change the way that a metric is calculated, or to add custom discovery filtering for an out-of-box vendor certification, extend the vendor certification.
Create vendor certifications for the vendors or devices that you want to support. To change the way that a metric is calculated, or to add custom discovery filtering for an out-of-box vendor certification, extend the vendor certification. You can also remove vendor certifications.
You cannot delete metric families and vendor certifications.
In this article:
Verify the Prerequisites
Before you create or extend vendor certifications, verify that you have completed the following prerequisites:
- You have downloaded and reviewed the related schema XSD files. The schema is required to validate your XML files.For more information, see Certification Schema Files and Examples.
- To prevent possible data loss, you have backed up the certification directory.
Get a Vendor Certification XML Template
For a new certification, use an existing vendor certification for a similar device to create an XML template. For an extension, get the XML for the target vendor certification.
To find a suitable vendor certification to use as a template, look at the metric family that you want to support with the new certification, and then pick one that is similar to your device.
Follow these steps:
- Set up a REST client with a connection to the data aggregator server.
- Retrieve the template vendor certification by entering the following URL:
cert_namespecifies the name of the vendor certification, which is an attribute of theFacetTypetag.
- New Certification:http://da_hostname:8581/typecatalog/certifications/snmp/cert_name
- Select GET in theMethodtab, and then run the method.The REST client returns the XML information for the vendor certification.Use the XML as a template to create the custom or extended vendor certification.
Edit the Vendor Certification XML
To apply the necessary changes, extend the vendor certification by editing the XML file. You can also edit existing custom vendor certifications when you want to collect additional data for reporting. Include only the XML nodes that require changes.
For more information about the XML structure, see Vendor Certification XML Structure.
Do not edit restricted XML tags or attributes.
For more information, see Restricted XML Tags.
You can also edit vendor certifications using
NetOps Portal. This is useful for limited changes that you need immediately. For example, you can edit the expression that maps to the normalized metric family variables.
For more information about how to edit certifications using
NetOps Portal, see Edit Custom Vendor Certifications Using
Enable Bytes Metrics
You can enable the
Bytes In, and
Bytes Outmetrics for individual vendor certifications. Enable these metrics by extending the vendor certification. The example XML to enable these metrics is included in the
Enabling these metrics for the Interface metric family can affect system performance.
For more information about this metric family, see Add Metrics to Existing Metric Families.
Merge the example XML with your extension XML.
Import the Custom Vendor Certification
Import the vendor certification to the system.
Verify the vendor certification in a test environment before you import the certification to your production environment. You cannot delete a vendor certification.
Select one of the following options to import the vendor certification:
Use a REST Client to Import a Vendor Certification
To import a single vendor certification, you can use a REST client.
Follow these steps:
- Specify one of the following URLs:
- Import Custom Vendor Certification:http://da-hostname:8581/typecatalog/certifications/snmp
- Update Custom Vendor Certification:http://da-hostname:8581/typecatalog/certifications/snmp/cert_name
- Extend Vendor Certification:http://da-hostname:8581/typecatalog/certifications/snmp/extension/cert_name
- On theMethodtab, selectPOSTto import a custom vendor certification, or selectPUTto update or extend a certification.
- In theBodysettings, selectapplication/xmlas theBody Content-type.Set the Content-type to avoid 415 errors.
- Copy the vendor certification XML into theBodytab.
- Run the method.Your vendor certification is imported. If no errors occur, theStatusfield in theHTTP Responsesection displays the following result:HTTP/1.1 200 OKTo import an unchanged vendor certification extension template, use a file that is similar to the following template:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <DataModel namespace="http://im.ca.com/certifications/snmp" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="SNMPCertificationFacet.xsd"> <Author>CA</Author> <Version>2.02</Version> <FacetType name="IfXTableMib" descriptorClass="com.ca.im.core.datamodel.certs.CertificationFacetDescriptorImpl"> <FacetOf namespace="http://im.ca.com/core" name="Item" /> </FacetType> </DataModel>
Import a Custom Vendor Certification using
After you create a custom vendor certification, you can share it with other data aggregator users who want to gather metrics for the same vendor by importing it using
NetOps Portal. You can also remove a vendor certification extension by importing an
unchangedvendor certification extension template.
You can share custom vendor certifications between data aggregator users. Users can gather metrics for vendor devices when a factory certifcation is not yet available using custom vendor certifications.
Prerequisite:The metric family that is associated with the vendor certification must be available in
NetOps Portalbefore importing. The import fails when the associated metric family is unavailable.
Follow these steps:
- ClickVendor Certificationsfrom theMonitoring Configurationmenu for a data aggregator data source.TheVendor Certificationspage appears.
- To use a shared custom vendor certification, import it in XML format into your installation of data aggregator. You are not required to import the MIB.
- You can import ZIP files. For example, you can import the downloaded ZIP file for a certification from the On-Demand Certification support page.
- ClickBrowse, and then select the custom vendor certification file.
- ClickOpen, and then clickImport.Your custom vendor certification is imported. Data aggregator immediately begins collecting metrics for the metric families that are associated with the newly imported custom vendor certification.
Verify the Vendor Certification Results
To ensure successful operation, verify the results of the import. Test custom certifications before you implement the changes in your production environment.
Follow these steps:
- Log in toNetOps Portal.
- Hover overAdministration,Data Sources, and then click the data aggregator data source.TheMonitored Devicespage appears.
- In theMonitoring Configurationsection, clickVendor Certifications.
- Verify that the vendor certification appears in the list, and that theLast Modifiedtime has been updated.
- In theMonitoring Configurationsection, clickMetric Families.
- Verify that the metric family appears in the list.
- Click theVendor Certification Prioritiestab.Custom vendor certifications are automatically added to the bottom of the priority list for the specified metric family. If necessary, modify the priority list and move the vendor certification to a higher priority.