Includes steps to acquire, install, deploy and configure your product.
This section provides the following information that is required to install the DX Platform:
Overview of the Installer
DX Platforminstaller is a console-based application that runs primarily in the docker container and so has minimum dependencies on the operating system. The installer communicates with the cluster and performs all the necessary actions to set up a ready-to-use
DX Platforminstance. The
DX Platforminstaller also supports deployment from a host that is not part of the cluster.
DX Platforminstaller, you can install the following capabilities:
- DX Application Performance Management (DX APM)
- DX Operational Intelligence (DX OI)
- DX App Experience Analytics
DX Platforminstaller requires Kubernetes or OpenShift to be pre-installed and the software requirements met. Kubernetes or OpenShift is a platform dependency that is external to the
DX Platform, similar to an operating system.
The installation of Kubernetes or OpenShift itself is outside of the supported bounds of the
DX Platform. For more information about the requirements, see the
DX Platforminstallation is supported for the following deployment sizes:
- Small:This deployment size is suitable for demo purposes.
- Medium:This deployment size is suitable for production environments.
You can refer to the
You can install the
DX Platformusing one of the following methods depending on your accessibility to the internet:
- Online Installation:Use the Online Installation method when the installing host has access to the Internet. You can download the online version of the installer from thefor the online installation credentials.Broadcom Support
- Offline Installation:Use the Offline Installation method when the installing host does not have access to the Internet. You can download the offline version of the installer from the
You can run the installer in one of the following ways:
- Interactive Console Install Mode:In this mode, you must provide the inputs at the prompt for the installation.
- Silent Install Mode:In this mode, run the installer in theInteractive Console Installmode first to generate thedxi.input.vars.ymlfile. The installer uses the values that are mentioned in thedxi.input.vars.ymlfile for the installation. Thedxi.input.vars.ymlfile is available in the root installation folder.
DX Platform Scripts
DX Platformincludes scripts to install and uninstall the DX Platform and to also automate some of the tasks. For more information about these scripts, see the
Introduction to Kubernetes Container Orchestration
Kubernetes works by managing a cluster of compute instances and scheduling containers to run on the cluster based on the available compute resources and the resource requirements of each container. Compute instances are called nodes in Kubernetes. A node can be a dedicated server or a virtual instance. Containers are run in logical groupings called pods and you can run and scale one or many containers together as a pod.
Kubernetes decides when and where to run your pods, manages traffic routing, and scales your pods based on utilization or other metrics that you define. Kubernetes automatically starts pods on your cluster based on their resource requirements and automatically restarts pods if they or the instances they are running on fail. Each pod is given an IP address and a single DNS name, which Kubernetes uses to connect your services with each other and external traffic.
OpenShift uses Kubernetes for container orchestration and extends Kubernetes functionality with the enterprise level features.
The installation process is divided into the following steps at a high-level: