Configure Metric Filtering
Metric filtering reduces the storage footprint of collected performance data by limiting the metrics collected from a metric family for a particular monitoring profile. For devices in associated collections,
DX NetOps Performance Managementloads only the selected metrics.
Metric filtering reduces the storage footprint of collected performance data by limiting the metrics
DX NetOps Performance Managementcollects from a metric family for a particular monitoring profile. For devices in associated collections, only the selected metrics are loaded.
You can apply metric filtering only to custom monitoring profiles (monitoring profiles that do not have lock icons).
Metric filtering does not reduce SNMP traffic.
DX NetOps Performance Managementstill polls filtered metrics. Metric filtering applies only to metrics that
DX NetOps Performance Managementcollects through SNMP.
You can filter metrics while managing dashboards or configuring event rules for thresholds. Consider dashboard and threshold requirements before metric filtering.
The following example helps to describe the behavior for multiple monitoring profiles.
- One monitoring profile (A) has no metric filtering.
- Another monitoring profile (B) has some metric filtering to collect only BitsIn, BitsOut.
- Each monitoring profile is associated with a different collection.
Result:If a device ends up in both collections, the configuration from (B) takes priority. The system only collects BitsIn, BitsOut.
If a device is associated with multiple monitoring profiles,
DX NetOps Performance Managementcollects and saves all selected metrics from all monitoring profiles for the device at the fastest rate among all monitoring profiles.
Storage savings are not linear.
For more information about how to estimate the storage savings, see Configure Data Retention Rates.
Follow these steps:
- Hover overAdministration, and then clickMonitored Items Management: Monitoring Profiles.
- Select the monitoring profile, and then click theMetric Familiestab.
- Select the metric family, and then clickEdit Collected Metrics.
- Move the metrics that you want to collect to theSelectedpane.By default, all metrics are selected. To pick a limited set of metrics, select all metrics, and move the metrics to theAvailablepane. Then move the metrics to collect to theSelectedpane.
- ClickSave.DX NetOps Performance Managementloads only the selected metrics to the data repository for devices in collections associated with the monitoring profile.If the collection is associated with another monitoring profile that includes the same metric family, or if the devices are in another collection associated with a monitoring profile with the same metric family,DX NetOps Performance Managementstill collects the metrics.
To view the metrics that
DX NetOps Performance Managementcollects for a particular device, go to the device administration page, click the
Metricstab, and select a metric family. A column in the right pane indicates where
DX NetOps Performance Managementcollects the metric.
Metricstab represents consolidated information across all monitoring profiles associated with all collections to which the device belongs. If you see a metric that you do not want to collect, view the metric families associated with each monitoring profile for each collection.
For more information about the
Metricstab, see the Manage Metric Families.