Configure the Data Repository Host for a Local Backup
If you do not have a dedicated backup host, you can back up the Data Repository locally. For best data integrity, have a dedicated backup host.
For best data integrity, keep a dedicated backup host. If you do not have a dedicated backup host, you can back up the data repository locally.
For more information about how to back up the data repository, see Back Up the Data Repository.
Follow these steps:
- Log in to the data repository host as the database administrator user. In a cluster installation, you can log in to any host in the cluster.
- Verify that the database administrator user is set up with a passwordless ssh key by issuing the following command. In a cluster installation, ensure that passwordless ssh keys are set up foreachhost that is participating in the cluster:ssh <hostname>ls
If the passwordless ssh key is set up, you arenotprompted for a password. If you are prompted for a password, set up passwordless ssh:
- hostnameThe name of the host where the data repository is installed.
- Press theCtrl+Ckeys on your keyboard.
- Set up the Linux user account for the database administrator user with a passwordless ssh key by issuing the following command:ssh-keygen -N "" -t rsa -f ~/.ssh/id_rsacp ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2chmod 644 ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
- Copy the SSH credentials to the other hosts in the cluster by issuing the following command:ssh-copy-id -idradmin@<other-hostname-in-the-cluster>
- Verify that passwordless ssh is set up by issuing the following command:ssh <hostname>ls
- Create a backup directory for each host in the cluster by issuing the following command:mkdir <backup_directory>
- backup_directorySpecifies the directory where you want to save the backup files. Select a backup directory that is on a disk partition with a large amount of free space. If these directories are not writable by the database administrator user, give this user access to these directories.
The data repository host is ready for the backup to run.