Dashboards and context pages render views. Views report collected data in a chart and/or a table format. Depending on the view, the data comes from the various registered data sources.
Views report collected data in a chart and/or a table format. You can add views to dashboards and context pages. Depending on the view, the data comes from the various registered data sources.
Views that show data for a group contain collated and aggregated data from data sources. Views that show data for individual items provide a drill-down path to the context page for the item.
Standard View Concepts
By default, the views on a dashboard show data from the same group and for the same time frame. You can show a specific group by changing the data context for the view.
View contexts act as filters that determine the nature of the data that is displayed in a view. The context of a view can be one of the following:
- DynamicIndicates that the context of the view changes with the context of the dashboard.
- FixedIndicates that the view uses a specified group, device, or component as a context for the data. For views with fixed context, changing the dashboard context does not affect the view.
Views on a context page default to the context of an item. However, from a context page, you can view the context of another item by dynamically changing the filter.
The context level of a view determines the data that appears in the view:
- GroupGroup context level views show data for devices and component items that belong to the selected group. Views that show a single value aggregate the results to the group level.
- DeviceDevice context level views show data for a specific device. Views that show a single value aggregate the results to the device level.
- Component / InterfaceComponent or interface context level views show data only for the individual selected device component or interface. Because this context shows only a single item, no aggregation occurs.
Out-of-the-box and Custom Views
Out-of-the-box views show data for a preselected metric or a limited set of metrics. These views include only limited customization options. Each registered data source includes an array of associated out-of-the-box views.
Custom views provide flexible configuration options using the information from the data aggregator. With custom views, you can select from many collected metric in multiple graphical and tabular formats.
For more information about how to add custom views to dashboards, see Manage Dashboards.