SD-WAN solutions, like Viptela and Cisco IWAN, route traffic according to predefined performance requirements. capm provides dashboards and context pages that support SD-WAN monitoring. Dashboards and context pages allow you to monitor the following items:
SD-WAN solutions, like Viptela and Cisco IWAN, route traffic according to predefined performance requirements.
CA Performance Managementprovides dashboards and context pages that support SD-WAN monitoring. Dashboards and context pages allow you to monitor the following items:
- TunnelRepresents the connection between two devices and has polled statistics (jitter, latency, and packet loss).
- Application/SLA pathRepresents a tunnel in relation to service level agreements (SLAs) thresholds. The measured SLA metrics (jitter, latency, packet loss) are reported as percentages of the related SLA thresholds. Rather than reporting tunnel traffic, application/SLA paths show the ability of a tunnel to meet the SLAs for different types of traffic (for example, voice or video). These traffic types are referred to as SLA classes.
Using the OpenAPI QueryBuilder, you can select SD-WAN items to return query results for these items. SD-WAN items include devices (
sdndevice), SLA classes (
sdnslaclass), SLA paths (
sdnslapath), tunnels (
sdntunnel), and virtual interfaces (
sdnvirtualinterface). You can also perform queries on SD-WAN metric families (
sdnvirtualinterfacemf). For more information, see OpenAPI QueryBuilder Examples.
For information about the metrics that Viptela collects including the VNA metrics, SNMP metric families, and NFA metrics, see the CA Virtual Network Assurance documentation.
The following video examines how
CA Performance Managementsupports the Viptela SD-WAN technology:
SD-WAN Tunnel and Application Paths Dashboards
View the SD-WAN Tunnel Statistics dashboard or the SD-WAN App Path Statistics dashboard to view the health of your SD-WAN tunnels or application/SLA paths. The SD-WAN App Path Statistics dashboard lets you easily identify issues impacting your delivering of services and applications according to service level agreements (SLAs).
The SD-WAN Tunnel Statistics dashboard reports the following metrics:
- Packet loss
The SD-WAN App Path Statistics dashboard reports the following metrics:
- Percentage of Jitter SLA Threshold
- Percentage of Packet Loss SLA Threshold
- Percentage of Latency SLA Threshold
The following details appear in these dashboards:
- Health CountsView the aggregated health counts of the following items:
Counts appear in color-coded circles for each threshold range. To expand the view, click the arrow in the lower-right corner. Click a card title or a circle to view the corresponding details in the expanded view.
- Edge Routers
- Application Paths
- Geographic MapView the location of each site. When a site is selected, the connections to and from other sites appear. The connection lines are color-coded based on health metrics. Site router details appear when you hover over a site. Tunnel or application/SLA path details appear when you hover over a connection.
- TimelineView time bar charts aggregating packet loss, latency, and jitter metrics and time bar charts for each metric.The selected site in the Map view doesnotfilter this view. However, you can use the search bar to filter the view by site name.
- ScorecardView tunnel or application/SLA path metrics by subgroup and component for the selected group. Subgroups and the items in those groups appear in a hierarchical format. Colored icons indicate performance levels for metrics and an overall health indicator.
- StatisticsView tunnel or application/SLA metrics in a table with color-coded bars for percentage metrics.
- GaugeIn the SD-WAN Tunnel Statistics dashboard, view packet loss in a gauge/table view.
- TrendView packet loss, latency, and jitter in a trend/table view.
- TrafficView latency and jitter metrics side by side for comparison and in a trend chart.
- InventoryView the source and destination end points of your tunnels or application/SLA paths.
- Errors and DiscardsIn the SD-WAN Tunnel Statistics dashboard, view SD-WAN virtual interface errors in one table and SD-WAN virtual interface discards in another table.
SD-WAN Context Pages
From the inventory or the SD-WAN dashboards, you can navigate to context pages containing more details for the following SD-WAN items:
- DevicesView the typical device context page for any of your SD-WAN devices.
- Application/SLA PathsOn the Details tab, view the details for the selected application/SLA path. View its statistics, packet loss in a gauge, heat chart, and trend chart, and its traffic.On the Class Health tab, view the percentage of packet loss, percentage of jitter, and the percentage of latency. These metrics appear in gauges, heat charts, side-by-side bar charts, trend charts, and a bar chart table.
- TunnelsOn the Details tab, view the details for the selected tunnel. View its statistics, packet loss in a gauge, heat chart, and trend chart, and its traffic.
- Virtual InterfacesOn the Details tab, view the details for the selected virtual interface with its event list.On the Health tab, view trend charts for discards, utilization, errors, packet rate, and bit rate.
The following video examines SD-WAN application/SLA paths and why CA Network Operations Analytics monitoring is so important to delivering a reliable digital experience:
The following workflows illustrate how an Operations Engineer can use the SD-WAN dashboards and context pages for SD-WAN monitoring:
- One of the following events drives you to the relevant SD-WAN dashboard:
- For an event impacting site connectivity, go to the SD-WAN Tunnel Statistics dashboard.
- For an event that could impact service level agreements (SLAs), go to the SD-WAN App Path Statistics dashboard.
- Use the Health Counts to view the site connections or application/SLA paths with issues.
- Use the Geographic Map and Scorecard to view site details.
- Review the remaining trend data.
- Drill into edge devices.