Configure Round Trip Time (RTT) Tests
To enable round-trip time tests, configure the tests using the Data Aggregator REST API. capm supports the following test types:
To enable round-trip time tests, configure the tests using the Data Aggregator REST API.
CA Performance Managementsupports the following test types:
- DNSMeasures the DNS lookup time.
- ICMP Echo (Ping)Measures the round-trip delay for the full path.
- ICMP Path EchoMeasures the round-trip delay and hop-by-hop round-trip delay.
- ICMP JitterMeasures the hop-by-hop jitter, packet loss, and delay measurement statistics in an IP network.
- HTTPMeasures the round-trip time to retrieve a web page.
- TCP ConnectMeasures the time to connect to a target device with TCP.
- UDP JitterMeasures the round-trip delay, one-way delay, one-way jitter, and one-way packet loss. Codec simulation is provided for MOS and ICPIF voice quality scoring capability.
RTT Test Architecture
The following diagram shows how the various components participate in the RTT test feature:
Configure the Tests
To configure RTT tests, complete the following steps:
Gather Required Information
The following information is required to configure a test:
- Required for all RTT tests in your environment:
To determine the IpDomainId, use the Data Aggregator REST API.
- DA host/address
- Required for the specific test:
- TestHostThe IP address of the device whereCA Performance Managementcreates the test.
- Depending on the test type, one of the following targets is required:
- TargetAddressThe device that receives the test probes.
- (DNS) TargetAddressStringIP address or hostname of the target that receives the probes. Use this string instead of TargetAddress.
- (HTTP) UrlThe URL that the HTTP probe communicates with.
Create an SNMP "SET" Profile
Create an SNMP profile and specify
Use in SNMP SET.
For more information, see SNMP Profiles.
Discover Devices Capable of Running RTT Tests
Apply a monitoring profile with the IPSLA-related metric families that you want to monitor to the target devices. Then, run discovery for those devices.
Associate SET Profiles with the Devices
For each device, associate the SET profile to the device item.
Through the UI:
- Go toAdministration, and click the Data Source.
- Select the monitored device.
- Select the SNMP SET Profile and the SNMP SET Version.
- ClickSave.You can now useCA Performance Managementto configure RTT tests on the device.
Through the Data Aggregator API:
http://DA_HOST:8581/rest/devices/manageable/<device item id>
<ManageableDevice version="1.0.0"> <RWSNMPProfileID>DA_RWSNMP_PROFILE_ID</RWSNMPProfileID> <RWSNMPProfileVersion>SNMP_VERSION</RWSNMPProfileVersion> </ManageableDevice>
To find the Item ID of an SNMP profile, go to the following REST URL:
Example:This example associates the SNMP Profile identified by Item ID 736 with device 1144:
Configure the Tests
Use a REST client to create RTT profiles.
CA Performance Managementuses the RTT profiles to configure the tests on the target devices. Each profile initiates the specified action type to create, update, or delete a test on the device. The profile is not used again after
CA Performance Managementperforms the specified action. Old RTT profiles are deleted.