Virtual Machine Re-image
These instructions show how to update an OVA Virtual Machine by re-imaging from the latest Gateway ISO image.
As a result of this procedure, the machine is wiped and a new Gateway is installed. If updating from Gateway 9.4 to Gateway 10.0, CentOS 7 is installed. Some downtime is required for MySQL replication
Be sure to backup your system before performing these steps. Your old machine is wiped clean, and the new virtual machine is installed over it with default factory settings.
Before You Begin
Ensure you have the following:
- A running Gateway virtual machine in ESXi
- Permission to control the virtual machine settings and upload an ISO file to the data store
Re-image the VM
To Re-image from the latest Gateway ISO file:
- Are you planning to restore the previous MySQL database?If so, install the new Gateway 10 license key before proceeding. See Manage Gateway Licenses
- Upload the latest Gateway ISO file to ESXi.
- In ESXi, power off the virtual machine. Use the snapshot feature to take a new snapshot as a backup.
- Go toEdit Settings.
- Click theVirtual Hardwaretab. In theCD/DVD Mediasection, clickBrowseand select the ISO file for the new image.
- Click theVM Optionstab. In the Force BIOS Setup section, select the checkbox to force entry into the BIOS setup screen.
- Power on the VM machine. In the BIOS Setup Utility, underBoot, change the boot order so that CD-ROM appears before Hard Drive.
- Save the setting and the machine will reboot. A CA technologies screen appears. Press ENTER to use the defaultvmwarevalue. The installation begins. When the new OS is installed, the VM turns off.
- With the VM off, return toEdit Settings, under theVirtual Hardwaretab, and deselect theConnectcheckbox for the CD/DVD Drive. This ensures that the machine does not boot into the CD-ROM when turned on.
- Power on the VM. A first-run boot script runs automatically. No user action is required. The script may runs for 5 minutes or more. After the script completes, the VM is powered off automatically.
- Power on the VM again. The screen displays the new version of the Gateway taken from the ISO image.