Layer7 Live API CreatorRelease Notes is a summary of new features, enhancements, fixes, and open issues for this release.
Layer7 Live API CreatorRelease Notes summarizes new features, enhancements, a release comparison, fixes, known issues, and other important information specific to this release.
Migrate (or Upgrade) to
Layer7 Live API Creator5.3
Migrate and Upgrade from Live API Creator 4.x or Earlier
If you are running Live API Creator 4.x or earlier, upgrade to the latest version of
Layer7 Live API Creatorusing the following process:
- Migrate the API definition that is in the admin database for Live API Creator 4.x and earlier to the admin repository that is in Live API Creator 5.0 using the migration service. This service is a utility that simplifies the process of migrating your APIs.For more information:
- Upgrade to this version of Live API Creator.For more information about how to upgrade to this version of Live API Creator, see Upgrade Live API Creator.
Upgrade from Live API Creator 5.x
If you are running Live API Creator 5.x, upgrade to the latest version of
Layer7 Live API Creator.
For more information about how to upgrade to the latest version of
Layer7 Live API Creator, see Upgrade Live API Creator.
Live API Creator 5.0.01 is a patch release that addresses an out of memory issue. This release also includes the fix.
For more information about the patch releases, see the Readme for the patch.
LAC_PATCH_USE_IN_MEMORY_LOGGINGoption to turn off in-memory logging at the API Server level has been deprecated. Replace this option with the
LAC_USE_IN_MEMORY_LOGGINGoption and set it to
falsewhen you start API Server during the upgrade process.
For more information about the
LAC_USE_IN_MEMORY_LOGGINGoption and the other options that you can add when you start API Server, see API Server Startup Options.
Best Practice:Turn off in-memory logging at the API Server level, especially in test and production environments, and then configure external logging.
For more information:
If you are upgrading from
Layer7 Live API Creator5.2 and you have defined your own data source provider, understand the changes in this release regarding data source providers.
For more information, see Manage Data Source Providers.
New Features and Enhancements
This section outlines the new marquee features and enhancements in this release.
To view feature and enhancement descriptions for previous Live API Creator releases, use the
Enhanced Extensible Data Source Provider Framework
This release includes a new extensible data source provider framework. Your existing data source providers continue to work in earlier versions of
Layer7 Live API Creatorversion, but they are not compatible with this version. If you have existing data source providers that you want to use in this version of
Your data source providers are located in the
data_source_providersdirectory within the
systemdirectory of the admin repository. The following table lists the file names that have changed in this version of
Layer7 Live API Creator. Use this table to guide you through editing the code for your data source provider:
File Name in 5.2
File Name in 5.3
For more information about the
systemdirectory, see View your API Definition.
datasourceUtilobject has been deprecated in this version of
Layer7 Live API Creatorand is not part of the new extensible data source provider framework. This release now includes the
dspFactoryobject. You can access services, such as formatting the value for a column or attribute, using the methods that are included with this object and with the
For more information about this object, see The dspFactory Object.
You can now develop connections to backend services that follow the schema model of entities, attributes, data types, keys, and relationships, that is, schemas that reflect a tabular data structure. REST API endpoints can return the data structure. You define the definition of each column attribute using the
Some of the improvements to data source providers include the following:
- You can now define the@metadataand the data type within the code definition of the data source provider.
- When you connect your API to a data source that uses a data source provider, the data source now provides the checksum, pagination, and href in the@metadatasection of the JSON response.
- Requests can pass sorting information using system sorts (sysorder) and can filter the results of endpoints for data source connections that use the data source provider using system filters (sysfilter).For more information:
- Data source providers now support all rules, with some limitations.For more information about these limitations, see Manage Data Source Providers.
MongoDB Resource Deprecation and the Migration Process to Audit User Transaction Details
The MongoDB resource was deprecated in Live API Creator 5.2. If you are migrating from Live API Creator 5.1 or earlier to this version of
Layer7 Live API Creator, you must now migrate or upgrade your MongoDB resources to a table-based resource.
If you have migrated or upgraded from a previous version of Live API Creator, and you are using the MongoDB resource type to connect to a MongoDB database for auditing user transactions,
Layer7 Live API Creatorconverts your existing MongoDB resources into a disabled table-based resource.
Layer7 Live API Creatorcopies the field information and collection name from the MongoDB resources into the
Descriptionfield of this disabled table-based resource for migration reference.
Use the following process to migrate or upgrade your MongoDB resources to a table-based resource:
- Copy the information that is in theDescriptionfield of the disabled table-based resource thatLayer7 Live API Creatorcreated.
- Create a data source that uses theMongoDBAuditdata source provider. Use the information that you copied from theDescriptionfield of the disabled table-based resource to complete the fields for this data source.For more information about how to create a data source that uses theMongoDBAuditdata source provider, see Customize your API to Audit User Transaction Details.
- Create a table-based resource. Name this resource using the same name as the disabled table-based resource thatLayer7 Live API Creatorcreated. Select the collection name.For more information about how to create a table-based resource, see Define Table-Based Resource Types.
- Delete the disabled table-based resource thatLayer7 Live API Creatorcreated.
Add Listener Providers for Messaging Support
Layer7 Live API Creatoruses to implement a listener.
Layer7 Live API Creatorincludes the listener provider definitions in the admin repository. They are located in the
listener_providersdirectory within the
systemdirectory of the admin repository.
For more information about listener providers, see Manage Listener Providers.
This release includes the following miscellaneous enhancements:
Searching Artifacts within your API
You can now search the artifacts and the content within the code in your API using the following options:
- Use keyboard commands. (Windows) Press theALT + Skeys on your keyboard. (Mac/UNIX) Press theOPTION + Skeys on your keyboard.
- Click the Search your API (the magnifying glass) icon.
For more information about this enhancement, see Search your API.
Other User Experience Improvements
This release includes user experience improvements, including improvements to the API Creator user interface (UI), examples in GitHub, and sample APIs.
For more information about the examples in GitHub, see GitHub.
Free-form Filter is Disabled by Default
By default, to prevent regular filters and sorts, the
Disallow free-form filter and sortscheckbox that is on the
Settingstab is now selected for the APIs that you create. When selected, this API property prevents the possibility of SQL injection when passing in regular filters and sorts as part of the URL parameter. Protect the security of your data by passing in filters and sorts using named filters and named sorts.
For more information:
Live API Creator Branding
This release includes a change to the branding of Live API Creator to use Layer7.
This table compares the key features in recent releases of
Layer7 Live API Creator:
Database & Data Source Support
Server Configuration & Management
* Data source that is created using the extensible data source framework
The following are issues that are fixed in this release:
- DE420514 -Layer7 Live API Creatordoes not format responses, including the txsummary in responses, properly when you POSTchartype data in Oracle data sources.
- DE379064 -Layer7 Live API Creatorincludes encrypted data source passwords in the export API for those APIs that are connected to data sources that use a data source provider instead of salting them.
The following are known issues. Where available, workarounds are provided:
- DE423515 - Data source providers GET occasionally returns error 08003: No current connection.
- DE434843 - Import schema fails for managed data server.
- DE402883 - The JDBC driver for Datacom includes a limitation that prevents you from testing the connection to Datacom data sources.
- DE389002 - The MongoDB JDBC driver (the JAR file) and the Informix JDBC driver (the JAR file) reference different versions of the BSON library. These references conflict while running inLayer7 Live API Creator. You can install the MongoDB JDBC driver or the Informix JDBC driver, but you cannot have them installed simultaneously.
- DE382731 - WhenLayer7 Live API Creatorgenerates a log statement for a custom endpoint, the log shows the authentication token asCORS_Response Key:NA CORS_Response -2. These requests are normal unauthenticated requests and are not Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) requests.