Live API Creator Architecture
The following image shows the architecture of :
The following image shows the architecture of
Layer7 Live API Creator:
In this article:
Layer7 Live API CreatorSystem Components
The following system components provide an application backend for internal applications, mobile development projects, data-as-a-service (DaaS) exposure, Internet of Things (IoT) enablement, and integration with partner applications:
API Server is the core component of
Layer7 Live API Creator, often known as the API/message-enabled middle tier.
- Processes client requests (APIs and messages) that web/mobile applications and other systems send. When there is no originating event, you can define listeners that listen to message queues and timers that can call other endpoints inLayer7 Live API Creator.
- Enforces your business and integration logic.
- Persists your data to enterprise data sources, such as SQL/NoSQL databases and other services.
- Contains the API definitions that it loads from the admin repository.
API Creator is a point-and-click interface for creating APIs. It runs in web browsers.
API Creator is:
- Live: No code generation, no compile, no deploy.
- Declarative:It includes point-and-click API definition, spreadsheet-like rules for logic, and row/column security.
The Admin Repository
The admin repository is a file directory where API Server stores your API definitions, including resources, logic, security, filters, and Data Explorer settings.
- Check files into source control systems (SCS), such as Git, for team development.For more information about team development, see Team Development.
- Deploy API definitions across environments using the command-line interfaces (CLIs) in your existing DevOps workflows.For more information about how to deploy API definitions, see Import and Export APIs.
For more information about the admin repository, see View your API Definition.
Data Explorer is a customizable web application that
Layer7 Live API Creatorautomatically creates for your API. You can test, prototype, perform back-office data maintenance to your API, and view data for existing systems using Data Explorer.
For more information about Data Explorer, see Data Explorer.
Declarative Services: Retrieval, Update Logic, Data Security
Specify your logic and security policy using the following declarative services:
- Retrieval.Layer7 Live API Creatorprovides RESTful services, SQL processing, and JSON request/response processing for all endpoints.
- Update-logic execution.Layer7 Live API Creatorenforces your logic on all PUT, POST, and DELETE requests. This enforcement applies to the resources you explicitly define in API Creator, and to tables.
- Data-security enforcement.Layer7 Live API Creatorcontrols row/column retrieval and on updates by applying entity-based role level permissions.
- Resource events.Use resource GET and PUT/POST events for requests in your resources.For more information about resource events, see Manage Resource Events.
For more information about the difference between resource events and rules, see Event Rule Types.
Layer7 Live API Creatorsupports the following deployment options:
- On-premise: Deploy into standard Java containers–such as Apache Tomcat, Jetty, and Oracle WebLogic–as an installable web application ARchive (WAR) file. The WAR file runs within the Java Virtual Machine (JVM).
- In the cloud: Deploy the WAR file to cloud-based environments such as AWS or Azure.
- Container-based:Layer7 Live API Creatorincludes a Docker container for microservice-based deployments.
You can deploy your APIs across environments and easily integrate with your existing DevOps workflow using the CLIs that
Layer7 Live API Creatorincludes. You can load your API definitions in runtime using the API Server startup options.
For more information:
- About the deployment options, see Installing and Upgrading.
- About API lifecycle management, including the DevOps workflow for deploying APIs, see Team Development.
- About the CLIs, see Install and Use the Command Line Utilities for DevOps.
- About the API Server startup options, see API Server Startup Options.
Layer7 Live API Creatorprovides services that address enterprise-class performance, such as minimizing network latency, through RESTful server operation, to database management system (DBMS) optimization.
You can also scale API Server performance or provide failover support by configuring
Layer7 Live API Creatorto run as a cluster of nodes. Run
Layer7 Live API Creatoras a cluster so that your APIs can handle the request load and can perform optimally.
For more information: