Health Check Support
Review this topic to learn about the Health Checker Common Service component.
CA Health Checkeris part of the base common services that are provided with
Common Components and Services. The
CA Health Checkerprovides a simple and consistent method for
Broadcomproducts to create health checks to run under the IBM Health Checker for z/OS.
The following health checks are available for the
Database Management Solutions for Db2: (owner is CA_DB2)
- Database Analyzer:
- DB2_PDA_BP_LOOKUPxmanxxxxLooks for the value that is specified for DB2_BUFFER_CHECKING in the PDA parmlib member. Specifying Y can incur move overhead and can degrade the system performance.
- DB2_PDA_EXCP_ACCESSxmanxxxxLooks for the value that is specified for EXCP_READ_ACCESS in the PDA parmlib member. When set to TS_COLL or NONE, full cylinder reads are not used and system performance can be degraded.
- Plan Analyzer:
- DB2_PPA_EXPLAIN_RC1xmanxxxxVerifies that the EXPLRC1 parameter in the PPA parmlib member is set to a non-zero return code.
- DB2_PPA_EXPLAIN_RC2xmanxxxxVerifies that the EXPLRC2 parameter in the PPA parmlib member is set to a non-zero return code.
- DB2_PPA_EXPLAIN_RC3xmanxxxxVerifies that the EXPLRC3 parameter in the PPA parmlib member is set to a non-zero return code.
- DB2_OFS_CREATE_VIEWxmanxxxxMonitors the setting of the GENERATE_COLUMNS_NAMES_WITH_SELECT(*) parameter in the OFS parmlib member. This setting controls how CREATE VIEW DDL statements are generated.
- DB2_RCM_FULLTREE_CHECKxmanxxxxMonitors the setting of the FULLTREE option in the MIGRATOR parmlib member. When set to YES, product performance can be degraded.
- Recovery Analyzer
- DB2_PRA_PARM_LEVELxmanxxxxMonitors the release level of the PRA parmlib member to determine whether it is current.
- DB2_PRA_TAPE_RETENTIONxmanxxxxMonitors the settings in the PRA parmlib for Retention Period for Tapes (RETENTION_PERIOD) or Expiration Date for Tapes (EXPIRATION_DATE).
- DB2_PRA_LOAD_LAST_RUNxmanxxxxMonitors the interval, in hours, between the executions of PRA#LOAD.
- SYSVIEW for Db2
- DB2_IDB2_VRFY_DP_ssid jobnameVerifies the dispatching priority of the data collector address space to minimize lostDb2trace data.
- DB2_IDB2_LOST_RECS_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector is not losing too many trace records due to shortage of trace buffers.
- DB2_IDB2_DATASHR_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector SYSPARM data sharing setting matches theDb2subsystem definition.
- DB2_IDB2_PVT_AVAIL_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector is not running out of 32-bit private storage. Using this storage can result in failed user requests for data.
- DB2_IDB2_EXC_MON_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector exception monitor is active.
- DB2_IDB2_EXC_CUST_ssid jobnameEnsures that exceptions are properly customized.
- DB2_IDB2_HS_EXPIFC_ssid jobnameEnsures that a high volume, high overhead IFCID is not specified in the subsystem history list degrading history effectiveness.
- DB2_IDB2_HS_BADIFC_ssid jobnameEnsures that only standard IFCIDs have been specified in the subsystem history list.
- DB2_IDB2_HS_EXPACC_ssid jobnameProvides notification if the more expensive IOSUM or SQL detail trace options have been specified in the HIST-ACCT-DETAIL data collector SYSPARM option.
- DB2_IDB2_RAF_LU_ssid jobnameProvides notification when the Remote Access Facility (RAF) LU is unavailable.
- DB2_IDB2_SEC_DIS_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector is running with product-specificDb2internal security enabled.
- DB2_IDB2_DB2VER_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector DB2VER SYSPARM value matches the release ofDb2being monitored.
- DB2_IDB2_DDF_PARM_ssid jobnameEnsures that the data collector DDF SYSPARM setting matches theDb2subsystem definition.
- DB2_IDB2_AGNT_DBUG_ssid jobnameProvides notification when agent detail debugging messages are enabled.
To customize the health checks for the
Database Management Solutions for Db2, install the
CA Health Checkerand use the IBM Health Checker.
For more information about how to manage health checks, see the IBM Health Checker for z/OS documentation.
After the integration is completed using the IBM Health Checker, the
CA Health Checkerperforms several health checks automatically when the Xmanager is started.
You can optionally customize your Xmanager using the ENV and SUFFIX execution parameters. These parameters help the
CA Health Checkerperform health checks successfully when two or more Xmanagers that are running on a single LPAR are sharing a parmlib. For more information, see Prepare the Xmanager Started Task Procedure.
Within the Xmanager started task output there are messages indicating the Health Checker has started and ended:
GEN0901 CA-DB2 Tools Health Checker task attached GEN0911 CA-DB2 Tools Health Checker interface initialization in progress GEN0912 CA-DB2 Tools Health Checker interface initialization complete ... GEN0913 CA-DB2 Tools Health Checker interface termination in progress GEN0914 CA-DB2 Tools Health Checker interface termination complete
Under SDSF, you can display the health checks using the CK command.
SYSVIEW, you can display and update health check parameters:
- For example, specify the following command to display all health checks that are performed on an LPAR:HCHECKER (HC)
- To display only the health checks that are performed for theDatabase Management Solutions for Db2, use the following command:HCHECKER CA_DB2