Install Products Using z/OSMF
Learn how to install product software using z/OSMF.
As a systems programmer, your responsibilities include acquiring, installing, maintaining, and configuring mainframe products on your systems. z/OSMF lets you perform these tasks for mainframe products and mainframe products from other vendors. z/OSMF lets you manage software on your z/OS systems through a browser at any time, from any location. By streamlining some traditional tasks and automating others, z/OSMF can simplify some areas of system management and also reduce the level of expertise that is required for managing system activities. Experienced users can view, define, and update policies that affect system behavior, monitor system performance, and manage their z/OS software.
As products and vendors adopt z/OSMF services, you can install and maintain all your mainframe products in a common way according to industry best practices. After configuration is complete, you can execute the product and easily provision new software instances for use on other systems throughout your environment.
Use the following topics to guide you through the installation process using z/OSMF:
- Address z/OSMF RequirementsProvides information about z/OSMF general configuration and security requirements.
- Acquire a z/OSMF Portable Software InstanceProvides the steps to acquire the product software fromBroadcomby downloading the z/OSMF portable software instance to the z/OSMF host. You must then register the portable software instance in z/OSMF.
- Install Product Software Using z/OSMF DeploymentsProvides the steps to install (deploy) the portable software instance to an LPAR using z/OSMF Deployments. This step creates the SMP/E environment and runs the RECEIVE, APPLY, and ACCEPT steps to prepare the software instance for SMP/E operations. This step also:
- Customizes the data set names that are defined to SMP/E.
- Mounts required USS files if necessary.
- Performs workflow execution to customize the deployed runtime environment for use on a specific z/OS system.
- Import Product Information into z/OSMFProvides the steps to import the product information file so that z/OSMF has access to the latest product information. For a list of products using z/OSMF, see Mainframe Products using z/OSMF in the Mainframe Common Maintenance Procedures documentation.
When these tasks are completed, you are ready to install preventive maintenance. You can also configure software instances using z/OSMF workflows.