README for CA Datacom Server 15.0
RI67322 - * CA DATACOM SERVER VERSION 15.0 Z/OS README
RI67322 - * CA DATACOM SERVER VERSION 15.0 Z/OS README
This informational solution contains the latest information regarding the z/OS (including USS), Windows, and Unix/Linux installation materials for CA Datacom Server Version 15.0.
As more items are discovered, they will be added to this list.
Mainframe Server component -- z/OS Install/Upgrade/Maintenance
All published PTFs should be applied to your CA Datacom Server Version 15.0 environment
afterACCEPTing the base product installation.
Software Requirements and Compatibility
- CA Datacom/DB Version 14.0 or Datacom/DB Version 15.0.
The Server 15.0 Mainframe component is incompatible with Datacom/DB Version 12.0 or below.
- All z/OS versions supported by IBM
- SMP/E Release 1.8.1 or later, as supported by IBM
- For CA ACF2, CA Top Secret, or IBM RACF, the Server Mainframe component must be set up to communicate with the external security package.
- CA Datacom Server Unix System Services (USS) component: - IBM USS with a Hierarchical File System (HFS) or a z/OS Distributed File Service zSeries File System (zFS) must be available.
- Java Runtime Environment 6 (JRE6) or later. Server Version 15.0 is incompatible with earlier JREs.
- The Datacom Server JDBC driver client, cadcjdbc.jar, is compliant with the JDBC 4.0 specification.
- CA Common Services 14.0 or above. The CA Common Services components that are used by Server Version 15.0 are:
- CA LMP (required)
- CAIRIM (required)
- CAISSF (required if security validation is utilized, otherwise, CAISSF is optional).
- CAICCI (optional) If you intend to use CCI as a communication protocol, it must be installed and configured.
If you are upgrading from a prior version that required CAICCI, check the Server Mainframe (SVDBSPR) startup options and the Server Communication Utility (SVCOMPR) commands for enhancements that allow TCP/IP as an alternative communication protocol. See Using CA Datacom Server Version 15.0 for more information.
Windows Client component -- PC Install/Upgrade/Maintenance
Software Requirements and Compatibility:
Microsoft Supported Windows 32-Bit and 64-Bit Platforms.
- ODBC with 64-bit Windows:If you plan to use a 32-bit ODBC application, you must install the 32-bit (x86) Datacom Server Windows client software. Likewise, if you plan to use a 64-bit ODBC application, you must install the 64-bit (x64) Datacom Server client. All the code in a single process must be of the same bitness.
- JDBC with 64-bit WindowsBy nature, there is no bitness that is associated with Java bytecode. A JAR file can run with either a 32-bit or 64-bit JVM. The same is true for the Server JDBC driver, cadjdbc.jar. However, because the Server JDBC Driver (in Windows) uses native libraries (DLLs), you must match the bitness of the DatacomServer client to the bitness of the JVM on which the JAR file runs. In other words, if you are using a 32-bit JVM you must install the 32-bit Datacom Server client software. If you are using a 64-bit JVM, install the 64-bit client software.
- CAICCI/PC (optional)If you intend to use CA CAICCI, you must install and configure the CA Common Services for Windows (CAICCI-PC).If you intend to use a 64-bit ODBC application, you must install the 64-bit version of CAICCI-PC. Likewise, if you intend to use a 32-bit ODBC application, you must install the 32-bit version of CAICCI-PC.Regarding JDBC, CAICCI/PC is considered native code. The previous discussion about the bitness of the client software must match the bitness of the JVM is also true for CAICCI/PC. A 32-bit JVM requires a 32-bit CAICCI/PC, while a 64-bit JVM requires a 64-bit CAICCI/PC.
- Windows MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) at release and service pack level appropriate for your Windows platform, including x64.
- Java Runtime Environment 6 (JRE6) or later. (required)
- JDBC 4.0 (optional)If you plan to use the new and enhanced JDBC ClientInfo methods, you must use JDBC 4.0/4.1 API and must run with a JDBC 4.0/4.1 compatible JVM. See the CA Datacom Server Release Notes Version 15.0 for more information.
Compatibility and Compliance:
- ODBC 3.8 - The CA Datacom Server ODBC driver conforms to the ODBC 3.8 specification and is downward compatible with earlier ODBC specifications that are supported by Microsoft.
- JDBC 4.0 - The CA Datacom Server JDBC driver conforms to the JDBC 4.0 specification and requires a Java 1.6 or later JVM.
The CA Datacom Server 15.0 Installer for Windows
All updates to the Datacom Server 15.0 Windows client software are packaged as InstallShield minor upgrade packages.
To perform a new install or upgrade, download the latest fix from CA Datacom Server Solutions & Patches Index and execute the package.
The highest numbered PTF should always be chosen over previous versions.
support.broadcom.com DOWNLOAD MANAGEMENT "Download by Solution ID".
If you already know the PTF number, that solution can be downloaded from
UNIX/Linux client component -- Distributed Install/Upgrade/Maintenance
- No high APAR number for DBSRV client base code.
- Software Requirements:
- JRE 6 or later (required)
- JDBC 4.0 (required)
- CA Datacom Server Proxy (optional)
The Server Proxy is no longer required. Applications running on Unix or Linux may connect to the Server Version 15.0 Mainframe directly through the JDBC Type 4 Driver. However, if you choose to use the proxy, it must be a Server 15.0 proxy. Also, the proxy must be deployed on USS or Windows and you must connect using a Server 15.0 JDBC client.
If you are using a phased client upgrade approach as discussed in Section II.6, you can continue.
Special Action Required for CA Datacom Server Version 15.0:
(None, as of 10/03/2014)
CA Datacom Server 15.0 UNIX/Linux
Download the latest Linux fix from CA Datacom Server Solutions & Patches Index. Linux PTFs provide the JAR file with all prior maintenance to the JAR file. Therefore, the highest numbered PTF should always be chosen over previous versions.
CA Datacom Server documentation is available here and in CA Datacom Tools - 15.1.
For more information, see the CA Datacom/CA Ideal, CA IPC Maintenance Grid for z/OS.