Perform a 15.0 to 15.1 Active MUF Upgrade
This scenario describes how a database administrator (DBA) performs a successful Version 15.0 to Version 15.1 upgrade of a single active Multi-User Facility (MUF) instance.
This scenario describes how a database administrator (DBA) performs a successful Version 15.0 to Version 15.1 upgrade of a single active Multi-User Facility (MUF) instance. The term active means that the MUF is enabled and application requests are being processed against the following resources:
- User application databases
- CA Datacom Datadictionary (DD) and Data Definition Directory (DDD) databases
The upgrade from CA Datacom/DB Version 15.0 to Version 15.1 is different from all prior version upgrades because there are only two processes involved.
With an Active MUF Upgrade, you do not have to perform a shutdown of your environment. Where the DB 15.0 MUF is active you can modify the JCL to include the DB 15.1 libraries. Then it is a matter of shutting down the primary MUF (15.0) and bringing up the backup shadow MUF (15.1).
You can decide the method that this process needs since you can also shut down your DB 15.0 MUF, and bring up the same MUF with the 15.1 libraries. The swap of the libraries between releases 15.0 and 15.1 performs the function of the upgrade.
Performing an Active MUF Upgrade
As a database administrator (DBA) in your mainframe environment, you can install, maintain, deploy, configure, and customize features for the database product. The information that follows describes how to upgrade one Version 15.0 candidate MUF environment to Version 15.1 successfully.
- The primary benefit is that the candidate MUF remains fully operational and available while the Target Libraries are upgraded to Version 15.1.
- User applications can continue to run with the Version 15.0 code while the MUF is running with the Version 15.1 code.
- The process to complete this upgrade is a matter of seconds while the Shadow MUF takes over with the new code. It only takes a matter of minutes if you decide to only bring down the 15.0 MUF and bring up the same MUF with the 15.1 libraries.
Follow these steps:
- Review the prerequisites.
- Create the CAI.HLQ.INSTJCL installation JCL library.
- Modify and execute the CAI.HLQ.INSTJCL upgrade JCL members.