Datacom/DB uses the DATASCAN OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX option to track the space available in a data area which is defined with space reclamation (data area space management options other than 0).
CA Datacom®/DBuses the DATASCAN OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX option to track the space available in a data area which is defined with space reclamation (data area space management options other than 0).
To provide compatibility with DBUTLTY processing before this function was added, the exact same actions as documented here are also performed using function DATASCAN OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX and RETIX with keywords DBID= and AREA=.
The following topics are discussed on this page:
When to Use
Use this option when you want to rebuild the data space index
Any Multi-User Facility (MUF) abend can result in lost data space index information.
This function does not free space in the Index Area or affect the normal key usage Index Area.
MUF Connection when DATASCAN OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX
This function communicates with one MUF. Be aware of the following:
- Ensure that DBUTLTY is communicating with the desired MUF by executing DBUTLTY with the same System Identifier module (DBSIDPR) that is being used by the MUF, and
- Ensure proper load library concatenation by keeping the System Identifier modules (DBSIDPR) in separate load libraries.
If the z/OS Cross-System Coupling Facility (XCF) is being used, ensure that the TOGROUP DBSIDPR parameter is correctly defined.
At completion, a report is produced with information as shown in the following example. The report notes successful completion and a line providing the number of data blocks read to complete the process.
*DBID 997 AREA A01 REQUEST COMPLETE
BLOCKS READ 41
How to Use
When using the DATASCAN function to rebuild the data space index, the MUF must be active. This utility function executes only in the MUF. The database need not be disabled nor the User Requirements Tables closed. Use the following format for this function:
►►─ DATASCAN ─┬────────┬─DBID=n,OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX ─────┬────────┬─────────►◄ └ AREA=a,┘ └ ,PRTY=n┘
- DATASCANInvokes the function to scan the data area in physical sequence in the MUF.
- ,DBID=When the optional keyword AREA= is not used, the DBID= can repeat. Each occurrence can specify one or more valid database IDs or a range of DBIDsn-m(a range, for example, 100-250).
- Limits:One or more valid database IDs or a range of DBIDs as already described
- Default:(No default)
- ,OPTION=Use OPTION=REBUILD_SPACE_INDEX to specify that the data space index be rebuilt.
- (No default)
- AREA=Identifies the data area for which the data space index is to be rebuilt. This keyword can omitted to cause action for every area in the database.
- Limits:DATACOM-NAME of the area
- Default:All areas in the database.
- PRTY=Identifies for this execution the URT priority of frequent or long-running DB requests in the MUF issued by this DBUTLTY function.
- Limits:1 (lower) through 15 (higher)0 is allowed but means that you should use the default 16 value
- Default:16 is the default value if PRTY= is not specified or is set as 0