The CA IDMS DLI Transparency Syntax Generator 1
Input to the syntax generator consists of the following control blocks created by the CA-supplied macros.
Syntax Generator Input
Input to the syntax generator consists of the following control blocks created by the CA-supplied macros:
- Database definition (DBD) control blocks-- Define the segment types, the physical hierarchical structure, and other characteristics of each database for which a view is defined in the PSB. The DBD control blocks are used to produce the CA IDMS/DB schema, DMCL, and subschema source statements.
- Program specification block (PSB)-- Defines the views of all physical and/or logical databases available to a DL/I application that uses the PSB. The PSB control block is used to produce the IPSB source statements.
Syntax Generator Output
The syntax generator produces source statements for a CA IDMS/DB schema, DMCL, and subschema and a CA IDMS DLI Transparency IPSB.
Schema, DMCL, and Subschema Source
The schema source statements produced by the syntax generator define CA IDMS/DB areas, record types, and set types corresponding to the databases, segments, and parent/child (hierarchical) relationships defined in the DL/I DBD control blocks.
The DMCL source statements define how the CA IDMS/DB areas are to be mapped to the physical database files. They are derived from information in the DL/I DBD control blocks.
The subschema source statements define the CA IDMS/DB logical views that correspond to the views defined in the DL/I DBD control blocks.
You can input the generated source definitions to the appropriate CA IDMS/DB compilers to create load modules for use with the IPSB compiler, the CA IDMS DLI Transparency load utility, and the CA IDMS DLI Transparency run-time interface.
The IPSB source statements define the correspondences between the DL/I database referenced by the DL/I application and the CA IDMS/DB database accessed by the CA IDMS DLI Transparency run-time interface.
The resulting IPSB source statements are organized as follows:
- IPSB SECTION-- Relates the IPSB being defined to the corresponding DL/I program specification block (PSB)
- AREA SECTION-- Identifies the CA IDMS/DB database areas that are to be readied by the CA IDMS DLI Transparency run-time interface in any usage mode other than shared retrieval (the default)
- RECORD SECTION-- Names the CA IDMS/DB record types needed to service DL/I calls and defines the DL/I fields to be referenced by the DL/I calls
- INDEX SECTION-- Provides the information necessary to relate CA IDMS/DB records and sets to DL/I secondary index structures and HIDAM index structures that are used and/or maintained by the CA IDMS DLI Transparency run-time interface
- PCB SECTION-- Replaces the program communication blocks (PCBs) defined for the PSB
After reviewing the IPSB source statements, you can input them to the IPSB compiler to create an IPSB load module for use with the CA IDMS DLI Transparency run-time interface.
Special IPSB Load Module
To execute the CA IDMS DLI Transparency load utility, you need a special IPSB load module. You produce a load IPSB by specifying the LOAD option in the GENERATE IPSB statement.
For specific considerations that apply only to the load IPSB, see CA IDMS DLI Transparency Load Utility.
Syntax Generator Operation
Operation of the CA IDMS DLI Transparency syntax generator involves the following steps:
- Select, assemble, and link edit all of the DBDs, including logical DBDs, associated with the PSB you want to use. Select, assemble, and link edit the PSB. The PSB represents an application's view of the DL/I database(s) defined in the DBDs.The DBDs and PSB must be assembled using the CA-supplied macros.
- Code the appropriate syntax generator statements.
- Execute the syntax generator.