Online Printer Configuration
This article describes how to use online printer configuration.
The Online Printer Configuration feature is an alternative to using TSO/ISPF Edit to update a printer configuration in the ESFPARM deck, and then issuing a CA Spool native REINIT command.
Online Printer Configuration provides support for adding, deleting and modifying online printers online using:
Online printer configuration provides decentralized printer configuration support so that individual user IDs can be assigned authorization to add, delete, and modify printers within their own network group. This lets selected printer administrators maintain their own printer definitions, so they do not have to contact central printer administrators for printer configuration changes.
Online printer configuration provides full parallel sysplex support to automatically promote printer configuration changes to all members in a MAS/EMAS complex.
DEFNODE Printer Models
The DEFNODE facility can be used to define a set of installation-dependent model device types, which you can then use for the definition of printer nodes. In this way, you typically only have to specify a node name, a DEFNODE model name, and a network group number on each NODE definition.
There are about 80 different printer node parameters from which to choose. In general, we recommend using DEFNODE definitions to define several DEFNODE models which matched the different types of printers being used, and then let the actual printer node refer to one of the DEFNODE definitions to obtain the characteristics of the selected DEFNODE statement.
Online Printer Configuration Printer Parameters
The Online Printer Configuration support also relies on DEFNODE definitions, so most of the online defined printer parameters are obtained from the selected DEFNODE, so only the individual printer parameters are specified using Online Printer Configuration. The following printer parameters are maintained by the online printer configuration:
DEFNODE printer model used
Network group to which the printer belongs
Printer alias name
Virtual printer name
TCP/IP Host Address
TCP/IP host name or address
TCP/IP Printer Name
TCP/IP printer queue name
Only printers defined with the printer parameters listed above can be maintained using online printer configuration. If a printer node is defined with any other printer parameters, it cannot be maintained via online printer configuration.
Online Printer Configuration Activation
This section describes how to activate and start Online Printer Configuration.
Follow these steps:
- Add the ESFNODE DD statement to your CA Spool STC JCL procedure as shown in the supplied CBQ4PROC(CAIQPOOL) JCL procedure.
- Move your existing printer node definitions from ESFPARM member CAIQPARM to ESFNODE member CAIQNODE as shown in the supplied CBQ4PARM(CAIQNODE) parameter member.
- Restart CA Spool.
- Select option PO - Online Printer Configuration from the CA Spool Main Selection Panel.The first time you view this panel, printers may not appear because your printer node definitions may contain one or more unsupported printer node parameters. See the Online Printer Configuration Printer Parameters section in this article for a list of supported parameters.
When you add a new printer on the PO panel, ESFLOG messages similar to the following should be received:
PRTADD,HP6E13,D=SMTP,G=1,L=Holte ESF153 NODE HP6E13 DYNAMICALLY DEFINED USING DEFNODE SMTP ESF1801 Printer HP6E13 added ( 150 msec)
Access to decentralized online printer configuration support is controlled by access to the ESFSECU.CMND.PRT* security resource as CAIQNODE, as shown in the supplied CBQ4PARM(CAIQPARM) parameter member.
The use of Online Printer Configuration support is optional. You can continue to use TSO/ISPF Edit to mantain your printer configuration in the ESFPARM deck. Printer node definitions are defined and maintained as follows:
- If online printer configuration support is used, the ESFNODE DD statement is required and printer node definitions are maintained in the ESFNODE initialization data set.
- If online printer configuration is not being used, printer node definitions are defined in the ESFPARM initialization data set.