Includes steps to acquire, install, deploy and configure your product.
This section describes how to install, deploy, and service this product.
On this page:
The installation process is a series of steps which installs product materials and deploys a product instance from a tape image envelope file. You obtain the envelope file by downloading it or transferring it from a DVD. Following initial installation preparations, the product code is loaded to a staging area, where it can be serviced. Next, the product code is deployed either into a server virtual machine, or to a user accessible location for use. This allows a single copy of the code to be maintained in the staging area over time, and deployed to the various machines and runtime locations where the product code is accessed for execution.
The following steps describe the installation process:
- Prepare for installation by ensuring that hardware, software, and security prerequisites are satisfied.
- Install the product code for a specific product and version level.
- Retrieve informational files to determine the contents of the envelope file, and obtain the latest information about the product or products in the file.
- Retrieve the resource requirements for a particular product. These requirements include user ID definitions and disk space allocations.
- Allocate disk space to hold the product materials, either on minidisks or Shared File System directories.
- Load the product code from the envelope file. The code is loaded to a staging area where it can be updated with any needed fixes, without impacting running product servers.
- Update the build status table to complete the product code installation.
- Deploy the product. This activity may occur many times for a single set of product code to create multiple executable instances of the product.
- Define the attributes for a product server virtual machine or a runtime code location. A default set of server attributes is provided in the product code, and is tailored, if needed, for a specific server instantiation.
- Allocate any needed server virtual machines and the associated disk space for the server.
- Copy the needed code and other files from the product staging area to where it will be used by a server or by an end user. The staging area may then be maintained and updated without impacting running server or user processing.
- Test the deployed product.
The service process is a series of steps which installs updates to product materials and deploys a product instance from the updated materials. Following initial installation preparations, the product code is updated on the staging area created during initial installation. Next, the updated product code is deployed either into a server virtual machine or to a user accessible location for use.
To install this product, you must have knowledge in the following areas:
- CP, CMS components
- VMSES/E procedures
- VM environment and installing software in this environment
- Your organization's IT environment, processes, and procedures
You may need to work with the following personnel:
- Systems programmer, for CP and CMS definitions
- Storage administrator, for disk space allocation
- Security administrator, for establishing resource authorizations