About uninstalling the Symantec Endpoint Protection client
In 14 and later, you can uninstall the existing client installation on the client computer before the installation of
Symantec Endpoint Protectionbegins. This feature is comparable to the CleanWipe utility, so you should not enable it for all deployments. Instead, you should only use this feature to remove corrupted or malfunctioning installations of the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient.
Before you use the
Remove existing Symantec Endpoint Protection client software that cannot be uninstalledfeature, be aware of this important information:
- This feature can remove allSymantec Endpoint Protectionversions up to and including the version of the installation package you create.It also removes all versions of the unsupported productsSymantec Endpoint Protection11.x, Symantec AntiVirus 10.x, Symantec Client Security 3.x, and Symantec Network Access Control.
- Although this feature removes versions earlier than 14, you cannot enable it when you create an installation package for an earlier version. For example, you cannot create a package for version 12.1.6 MP4 that enables this feature.
- This feature cannot uninstall a version ofSymantec Endpoint Protectionthat is later than the installation package with which you include it. For example, you cannot use this feature during a planned rollback.
- If you deploy the wrong package type with this feature enabled, it does not perform the removal. For example, if you deploy a 32-bit package to a 64-bit computer, it cannot install. Therefore, it does not remove the existingSymantec Endpoint Protectioninstallation.
- You cannot use this feature with an installation that uses the .MSI file directly, such as through a GPO deployment.
- This feature does not work with a manual upgrade or AutoUpgrade. You use this feature with a fresh installation only.
- This feature does not removeSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- This option only removes Windows LiveUpdate if no other Symantec products use it.
- On the client computer, this feature runs silently, and does not display a status screen or user interface.
- This option forces the installation type toSilent.
- The computer restarts automatically after the removal completes. You cannot configure this restart to be postponed or skipped.