Uninstalling existing security software
You can configure and deploy new installation packages to uninstall existing security software before the installation of the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient. Uninstalling existing security software allows the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient to run more efficiently. You can remove existing third-party security software or an existing
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient.
You enable the security software removal feature by creating or modifying a custom client installation settings configuration. You then select this custom configuration during deployment.
You can use this feature to uninstall third-party security software. To see which third-party software the client package removes, see: Third-party security software removal in Endpoint Protection 14. Some programs may have special uninstallation routines, or may need to have a self-protection component disabled. See the documentation for the third-party software.
You cannot remove third-party security software with Mac or Linux client packages. You must uninstall third-party security software before you deploy the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient package.
Changes to the third-party security software removal for version 14.2 means that you cannot enable it for installation packages for earlier versions. For example, you cannot enable third-party security software removal for version 14.0.1 client packages if you create them with and deploy them from
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerversion 14.2.
In 14 and later, you can also remove existing installations of
Symantec Endpoint Protectionthat you cannot uninstall through standard methods, such as Windows Control Panel. This feature appears as a separate option in the client installation settings.
Only the packages you create using the following procedure can remove existing security software.
- To configure client packages to uninstall existing security software, in the console, on theAdminpage, clickInstall Packages, and then clickClient Install Settings.
- UnderTasks, clickAdd Client Install Settings.If you have previously created a custom client installation settings configuration, you can modify it underTasks, and then clickEdit Client Install Settings. Modifying an existing custom configuration does not modify previously exported install packages.
- On theBasic Settingstab, click one of the following options:
- Automatically uninstall existing third-party security software
- To remove a corrupted version of the Symantec Endpoint Protection client, useRemove existing Symantec Endpoint Protection client software that cannot be uninstalled(14)
- Read the information about the option you chose, and then clickOK.You can also modify other options for this configuration. ClickHelpfor more information about these options.
- ClickOKto save the configuration.
- To deploy client packages to uninstall existing security software, in the console, on theHomepage, launch theClient Deployment Wizard.ClickHelp > Getting Started Pageand then underRequired tasks, clickInstall the client software on your computers.
- In theClient Deployment Wizard, clickNew Package Deployment, and then clickNext.You can useExisting Package Deploymentto deploy install packages you previously created. However, you must have exported these packages using a custom client installation settings configuration like the one described in the previous procedure.
- InSelect Group and Install Feature Set, select a Windows install package. In theInstall Settingsdrop-down list, select the custom client installation settings configuration that you created or modified in the previous procedure. ClickNext.
- Click the deployment method that you want to use, and then clickNextto proceed with and complete your chosen deployment method.