Exporting client installation packages
You might want to export a client install package if you need those options that are not available when you use
Save Packagein the
Client Deployment Wizard. For example, you may need to create an unmanaged client with custom policies. You may also only need either 32-bit or 64-bit installation packages for Windows, or need either
RPMinstallation packages for Linux.
Once you export the client install package, you deploy it.
Remote Pushin the
Client Deployment Wizardcan deploy the Windows and Mac packages that you export. Alternately, you can install an exported package directly on to the client, or use a third-party program to deploy it.
You can create an installation package for managed clients or unmanaged clients. Both types of packages have the features, policies, and settings that you assign. If you create a package for managed clients, you can manage them with the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerconsole. If you create a package for unmanaged clients, you cannot manage them from the console. You can convert an unmanaged Windows or Mac client to a managed client at any time with
Communication Update Package Deploymentthrough the
Client Deployment Wizard.
If you export client installation packages from a remote console, the packages are created on the computer from which you run the remote console. Furthermore, if you use multiple domains, you must export the packages for each domain, or the clients do not appear in the correct domain groups.
- To export client installation packages:
- In the console, clickAdmin, and then clickInstall Packages.
- UnderInstall Packages, clickClient Install Package.
- In theClient Install Packagepane, underPackage Name, right-click the package you want to export and then clickExport.
- ClickBrowseto navigate to and select the folder to contain the exported package, and then clickOK.Export Packagedoes not support directories with double-byte or high-ASCII characters, and blocks their selection.
- Set the other options according to your installation goals. The options vary depending on the type and the platform of the installation package you export.For details about the export options in this dialog box, clickHelp.