Importing client installation packages into Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
You may need to import a client installation package into
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerif you upgrade to a newer version of
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerusing a database that you have restored from a previous version. The database includes older client installation packages, and you need to import the newer packages.
You should always keep the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerversion the same or later than the client version.
You can import an executable package such as .exe or .zip file packages directly, but it is not recommended. The .info file contains the information that describes the package and ensures proper migration to future builds of the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient through delta updates. On the other hand, the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerweb console does not import the .info file format. In the web console, you can only import or export packages in a single file, such as in the .zip or .exe file format.
- To import client installation packages intoSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Copy the installation package that you import to a directory on the computer that runsSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager.The client installation package consists of two files. One file is namedproduct_name.dat, and the other file is namedproduct_name.info. These files automatically import during the installation or upgrade ofSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager. You can also get the packages from theSEPM/Packagesfolder of the installation file.
- In the console, clickAdmin>Install Packages.
- UnderTasks, clickAdd a Client Install Package.
- In theAdd a Client Install Packagedialog box, type a name and a description for the package.
- In theSelect Folderdialog box, locate and select theproduct_name.info file for the new package you copied in step 1, and then clickSelect.
- When theCompleted successfullyprompt appears, clickClose.To export the installation files and make them available for deployment, clickExport this Package, and then complete this procedure.After you successfully import the package, you can see a "Package is created" event in the System > Administrative log. The event is described with text similar to "Successfully imported the SEP 12.1 RU5 32-bit package bySymantec Endpoint Protection Manager. This package is now available for deployment."