Installing a management server for failover or load balancing
Failover configurations are used to maintain communication when clients cannot communicate with a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. Load balancing is used to distribute client management between management servers. You can configure failover and load balancing by assigning priorities to management servers in management server lists.
Failover and load balancing installations are supported only when the original
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manageruses a Microsoft SQL Server database. The SQL Server Native Client files also must be installed on the computer that you use for failover or load balancing.
- To install a management server for failover or load balancing:
- Install a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- In theManagement Server Configuration Wizardpanel, checkCustom Configuration, and then clickNext.
- Select the number of clients you expect the server to manage, and then clickNext.
- CheckInstall an additional management server to an existing site, and then clickNext.
- In the server information panel, accept or change the default values, and then clickNext.
- In theMicrosoft SQL Server Informationdialog box, clickOKin the message about installing the SQL Server client tools.
- Enter the remote server values for the following text boxes:Step Onetells theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerwhere to find the SQL Server on the network, which includes host name, instance name, and port.You also pick the authentication type, including Windows Authentication or SQL authentication.
- Database server\instance_nameSQL server portDatabase nameSQL client folder(on the local computer)If this text box does not automatically populate with the correct path, the Microsoft SQL Client Utility is not installed or it is not installed correctly.
- Step Twotells theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerhow to authenticate to the SQL Server and includes the database name, database user, and database user's password.You should have had this information available already for when you installed the first management server for that site.
- Specify and confirm a password for the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager admin account.Optionally, provide an administrator email address.
- At the warning, read the text message, and then clickOK.
- InManagement Server Completedpanel, clickFinish.