Exporting log data to a text file
When you export data from the logs to a text file, by default the files are placed in a folder. By default, that folder path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\dump. Entries are placed in a .tmp file until the records are transferred to the text file.
For the 32-bit systems that run 12.1.x, it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\dump.
You cannot restore the database by using exported log data.
Log text file names for
Symantec Endpoint Protectionshows the correspondence of the types of log data to the names of the exported log data files. The log names do not correspond one-to-one to the log names that are used on the
Logstab of the
Text File Name
Application and Device Control
Client Proactive Threat
When you export to a text file, the number of exported records can differ from the number that you set in the
External Loggingdialog box. This situation arises when you restart the management server. After you restart the management server, the log entry count resets to zero, but there may already be entries in the temporary log files. In this situation, the first *.log file of each type that is generated after the restart contains more entries than the specified value. Any log files that are subsequently exported contain the correct number of entries.
- To export log data to a text file
- In the console, clickAdmin.
- Click the local site or remote site that you want to configure external logging for.
- ClickConfigure External Logging.
- On theGeneraltab, select how often you want the log data to be sent to the file.
- In theMaster Logging Serverlist box, select the server that you want to send logs to.If you use Microsoft SQL with more than one management server connecting to the database, only one server needs to be a Master Logging Server.
- CheckExport Logs to a Dump File.
- If necessary, checkLimit Dump File Recordsand type in the number of entries that you want to send at a time to the text file.
- On theLog Filtertab, select all of the logs that you want to send to text files.If a log type that you select lets you select the severity level, you must check the severity levels that you want to export.