Enabling and testing default application rules
Application control includes default rule sets that are made up of one or more rules. Default application control rule sets are installed with the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. The default rule sets are disabled at installation. To use the default rule sets in an Application Control policy, you must enable them and apply the policy to a group of clients.
For a description of the common predefined rules, see:
In the following task you can enable and test the
Block writing to USB drivesrule set.
- To enable and test default application rules
- To enable a default application rule set, in the console, clickPolicies>Application and Device Control, and underTasks, clickAdd an Application Control Policy.
- In theOverviewpane, type a name and description for the policy.
- ClickApplication Control.
- In theApplication Controlpane, check theEnabledcheck box next to each rule set that you want to implement.For example, next to theBlock writing to USB drivesrule set, check the check box in the Enabled column.
- To review the rules for the rule set, select the rule, clickEdit, and then clickOK. See:
- ChangeProductiontoTest (log only).
- Assign the policy to a group, and clickOK.
- To test the rule setBlock writing to USB drives, on the client computer, attach a USB drive.
- Open Windows Explorer and double-click the USB drive.
- Right-click the window and clickNew>Folder.If application control is in effect, anUnable to create foldererror message appears.