Obtaining a device vendor or model for Windows computers with DevViewer
You can use the Symantec DevViewer tool to obtain either the class ID (GUID) or the device ID. You can use Windows Device Manager to obtain the device ID.
After you obtain a device ID, you can modify it with a wildcard character to indicate a less specific group of devices.
- To obtain a device vendor or model for Windows computers with DevViewe
- Download DevViewer to the client computer from the Attachments section at:
- On the client computer, runDevViewer.exe.
- Expand the Device Tree and locate the device for which you want the device ID or the GUID.For example, expandDisk drivesand select the device within that category.
- In the right-hand pane, right-click the device ID (which begins with [device ID]), and then clickCopy Device ID.
- On the management server, paste the device ID into the list of hardware devices.
- To obtain a device ID from Control Panel, open the Device Manager from the Control Panel.The path to the Device Manager depends on the Windows operating system. For example, in Windows 7, clickStart > Control Panel > System > Device Manager.
- In theDevice Managerdialog box, right-click the device, and clickProperties.
- In the device'sPropertiesdialog box, on theDetailstab, select the Device ID.By default, the Device ID is the first value displayed.
- Copy the ID string.
- ClickOK.For more information, see: