Allowing users to view scan progress and interact with scans on Windows computers
You can configure whether or not the scan progress dialog box appears on Windows client computers. If you allow the dialog box to appear on client computers, users are always allowed to pause or delay an administrator-defined scan.
When you allow users to view scan progress, a link appears in the main pages of the client UI to display scan progress for the currently running scan. A link to reschedule the next scheduled scan also appears.
When you allow users to view scan progress, the following options appear in the main pages of the client UI:
- When a scan runs, the message linkappears.scanin progressThe user can click the link to display the scan progress.
- A link to reschedule the next scheduled scan also appears.
You can allow users to stop a scan entirely. You can also configure options for how users pause or delay scans.
You can allow the user to perform the following scan actions:
When a user pauses a scan, the Scan Results dialog box remains open and waits for the user to either continue or abort the scan. If the computer is turned off, the paused scan does not continue.
When a user snoozes a scheduled scan, the user has the option of snoozing the scan for one hour or three hours. The number of snoozes is configurable. When a scan snoozes, the Scan Results dialog box closes; it reappears when the snooze period ends and the scan resumes.
When a user stops a scan, the scan usually stops immediately. If a user stops a scan while the client software scans a compressed file, the scan does not stop immediately. In this case, the scan stops as soon as the compressed file has been scanned. A stopped scan does not restart.
A paused scan automatically restarts after a specified time interval elapses.
Users can stop a Power Eraser analysis but cannot pause or snooze it.
You can click Help for more information about the options that are used in this procedure.
- To allow users to view scan progress and interact with scans on Windows computers
- In the console, open a Virus and Spyware Protection policy.
- UnderWindows Settings, clickAdministrator-defined Scans.
- On theAdvancedtab, underScan Progress Options, clickShow scan progressorShow scan progress if risk detected.
- To automatically close the scan progress indicator after the scan completes, checkClose the scan progress window when done.
- CheckAllow user to stop scan.
- ClickPause Options.
- In theScan Pause Optionsdialog box, do any of the following actions:
- To limit the time that a user may pause a scan, checkLimit the time the scan may be paused, and then type a number of minutes. The range is 3 to 180.
- To limit the number of times a user may delay (or snooze) a scan, in theMaximum number of snooze opportunitiesbox, type a number between 1 and 8.
- By default, a user can delay a scan for one hour. To change this limit to three hours, checkAllow users to snooze the scan for 3 hours.