Assigning a policy to a group or location
You assign a policy to a client computer through a group. Every group has exactly one policy of each protection type that is assigned to it at all times. Typically, you create separate groups for the clients that run different platforms. If you put the clients that run different platforms into the same group, each client platform ignores any settings that do not apply to it.
Unassigned policies are not downloaded to the client computers in groups and locations. If you do not assign the policy when you add the policy, you can assign it to groups and locations later. You can also reassign a policy to a different group or location.
Policies are assigned to computer groups as follows:
- At initial installation, the Symantec default security policies are assigned to theMy Companyparent group.
- The security policies in theMy Companyparent group are automatically assigned to each newly created child group. Newly created child groups inherit fromMy Companyby default.New groups always inherit from their immediate parent group. If you create a hierarchy of child groups, each one inherits from its immediate parent, not from the top-level parent.
- You replace a policy in a group by assigning another policy of the same type. You can replace a policy that is assigned to theMy Companyparent group or to any child group.
The icons display the following information:
A group without a policy that is assigned to it.
A group with a policy assigned to it. The text is bold.
A location without a policy that is assigned to it.
A location with a policy assigned to it. The text is bold.
A location that inherits from a parent group and has no policy that is assigned to it.
A location that inherits from a parent group and has a policy that is assigned to it
- To assign a policy to a group or location
- In the console, clickPolicies>policy type.
- On thePoliciespage, select a policy, and then clickAssign the policy.
- In theAssign policydialog box, select the groups or locations, and then clickAssign.
- ClickOKto confirm.