Replacing a policy
You may want to replace one shared policy with another shared policy. You can replace the shared policy in either all locations or for individual locations.
When you replace a policy for all locations, the management server replaces the policy only for the locations that have it. For example, suppose the Sales group uses the Sales policy for three of its four locations. If you replace the Sales policy with the Marketing policy, only those three locations receive the Marketing policy.
You may want a group of clients to use the same settings no matter what location they are in. In this case, you can replace a non-shared policy with a shared policy. You replace a non-shared policy with a shared policy for each location individually.
- To replace a policy
- To replace a shared policy for all locations, in the console, clickPolicies.
- On thePoliciespage, underPolicies, click the type of policy that you want to replace.
- In thepane, click the policy.policy typePolicies
- In thePoliciespage, underTasks, clickReplace the Policy.
- In theReplacedialog box, in thepolicy typePolicyNewlist box, select the shared policy that replaces the old one.policy typePolicy
- Select the groups and locations for which you want to replace the existing policy.
- When you are prompted to confirm the replacement of the policy for the groups and locations, clickYes.
- To replace a shared policy or non-shared policy for one location, in the console, clickClients.
- In theClientspage, underClients, select the group for which you want to replace a policy.
- On thePoliciestab, uncheckInherit policies and settings from parent group ".group name"You must disable inheritance for this group. If you do not uncheck inheritance, you cannot replace a policy.
- UnderLocation-specific Policies and Settings, scroll to find the location that contains the policy.
- Next to the policy that you want to replace, clickTasks, and then clickReplace Policy.
- In theReplace Policydialog box, in theNew policylist box, select the replacement policy.